- Instance synchronization Review
What is the synchronization feature?
How does synchronization get enabled?
What objects are supported?
Is the sync reversible?
- Basic checks and key information about instance sync errors and issues
- What should I provide when opening an instance Sync incident?
- If you need a full exact copy of another instance, then there is only one way to do that, and that is via a clone of the source instance. Please view our solution.
What is Instance Sync?
- Instance synchronization is a means of syncing the configuratLon of your multiple SAP SuccessFactors instances. This enables you to "push" new configuratLons from one instance to another, such as from your Test instance to your Production instance.
- For example, from a production instance to a test instance. You’ll be able to copy over templates, competency libraries, route maps, and more. To use this new tool, contact Support to have your account updated.
Instance_Syncronization configuration guide.
What items are supported?
These are the objects that you can copy:
Home Page Configuration Settings
Families and Roles
Form Label Translations
RBP Permission Roles and Groups
MDF Object Definition
MDF Config UI
- Clients can run all sync's in test-only mode to preview the sync before actually running Instance Sync.
- If you go to Admin Tools -> Data Management -> Instance Synchronization Monitor Tool you can search your criteria.
Click on Actions and download the Report this will give you some detailed diagnostics .
Is the sync reversible?
- No. For this reason clients are encouraged to run in test-only mode first and clients are cautioned to back everything up, export picklists, competencies, and forms templates before this is enabled and run for the first time just in case you find there is data you had not intended to overwrite and need to restore.
- IMPORTANT Please back up everything and production - see Solution 2934 Success Factors' data backup procedures. Disaster Recovery.
I have an issue with the sync tool. What can I do / check ?
- General checks:
- During setup:
- When setting up instance Sync in provisioning remember that you need to set it up from the “target” instance side.
- Make sure the admin users have required permissions to perform instance sync on target and source for selected objects as well as instance sync permissions.
- Don’t use the URL 'DC 12-performancemanager012.successfactors.eu:443' to set-up the sync as this is deprecated. Use 'DC 5-performancemanager5.successfactors.eu:443' in the sync setup in provisioning.
- Make sure popup blocker is disabled when trying to setup the instance sync in provisioning, as the system will trigger a popup after you setup the source and target instance information to allow you to define which objects will be allowed in the Sync tool.
- When using the feature:
- If you get a popup stating “The following are a list of artifacts and their dependencies that have not been selected” it means you may not be able to sync the selected object as it depends on other items which are highlighted in red.
You will still be able to trigger the sync of the items, but the copy might fail as the dependency validations will not be met.
- When Syncing permission groups, you need to ensure that the criteria for these permission groups exist on the target.
For example :
o if you Sync a permission group we will not validate if the users (who are part of the group) exist on target. The only validation will be that the group creator (on source) exists on target.
o If you sync a group based on specific data model element this same element needs to exist in the target
- Make sure that the instance sync configuration has been refreshed if your instance has been migrated to the early test stack (preview stack) since you last used the tool.
As provisioning access is needed to set up the link between instances from the back-end, you will require assistance from Cloud Product Support or your Partner / Consultant team.
- If you have no instance visible in the drop down menu then the initial setup was not completed successfully. The provisioning setup will have to be reviewed / re-triggered.
- If the Sync is failing, make sure that the target instance admin used by the sync has the correct RBP permissions assigned as well. The admin user will have been provided during the initial setup from the back end.
Go to the target instance, identify the permission role that grants permissions to the target admin user, then review the role and make sure the correct permissions are enabled in the "Manage instance synchronization" section of the permissions.
- Other key take-aways:
Sync RBP roles with Field level overrides:
This will be supported as of b1608
Sync Job status in-Progress even after failing in provisioning
This can be a result of server issue with the job scheduler server. When the scheduler recovered, it tried to re-execute the jobs that were in-progress.
Since instance sync doesn't support re-executing the jobs that are in-progress the job failed in provisioning and the same is not reflected back in the Instance sync monitor tools page.
Engineering will work on handling such scenarios in our future enhancements.
If you get a message stating “Please provide a user id for the sync” when trying to submit a sync
Scroll down and enter the userid in the text box. This userid (and not username) should belong to the target instance and should have instance sync privileges.
RBP Role Sync is failing without error message or is unavailable:
RBP Role sync is incompatible across release. Please check source and target instances are on the same release. This might change with every release depending on the code changes made in the specific release.
Options in Instance Sync not available (greyed out)
Sync is incompatible across release for the greyed out objects. Please check source and target instances are on the same release and try again once this is the case.
Sync failing for PM Forms with v12 Acceleration
Instance Sync tool does not support the PM v12 Acceleration as yet. There are currently no plans to include this in a future release.
Picklist sync fail due to "External Code not Unique for companyId”
External code is now a mandatory field for picklists to perform instance sync. Make sure picklists have this information.
Parent-child picklists : we do not display the child picklists on the list in wizard page is this normal?
Yes, this is expected behaviour. However, child picklists will be implicitly synced as a part of the parent picklist sync.
Job remains in Ready status in instance sync monitor tool rather than executing straight away:
Please check if you created a one time sync, or a sync package. If you created a sync package you must trigger the sync for this package. See instance sync guide for details on the package sync.
It may also be that you have to trigger the job from provisioning.
We need to trigger jobs manually from provisioning whenever Data artifacts (User Data, Background Data, Goals, PM Forms, SM Positions, MDF Positions) are a part of the sync. A guide is attached showing how this can be done (for support and partners as it requires access to provisioning).
Translations not syncing for Foundation Objects Across DC:
This is a known issue and targeted to be fixed in b1608. If you have any queries you can contact Cloud Product support with this refence: TLS-3294
Cannot access all the Background elements in Copy Background page in Instance Sync wizard
Try to resize the page in order to see all elements
I checked all the above but my issue is still happening. What should I provide in my incident?
If you have to open an incident for support please provide:
1. Provide screenshots from the instance sync monitor showing result of your sync.
2. Provide the CSV files with results from the objects sync.
3. If multiple objects failing, are you able to sync one by one. If yes, which one (or multiple ones) are failing ?
For Support. Check internal memo for additional support instructions when engaging with Engineering.
Instance Sync, Instance Synchronization, Instance Sync Admin Guide, Instance Sync Manual , KBA , sf email , sf platform , instance sync , LOD-SF-PLT , Foundational Capabilities & Tools , LOD-SF-PLT-SYN , Instance Synch , How To
|Instance Sync - provisioning guide.docx|