- Top reasons why my emails are not sent/received
- Emails not received or not triggered by the application. How to troubleshoot?
SAP SuccessFactors HCM Suite
There are multiple possible causes to email notifications not being delivered. Below we will go through the most common causes.
- The user’s email is incorrect (misspelled or different email address in the system)
- The specific email notification is not enabled to trigger emails
- The user’s email is disabled
- The user is not assigned to the default user group (Skip this step if you are using Role Based Permissions)
- The Single Recipient feature is enabled in provisioning.
- The emails are being spammed (blocked by the customer’s firewall)
- Emails not received for Forgot Password …
- The user’s email is used for other users in the system and therefore the system doesn’t know to whom to send the notification to. This could be specially true for retrieving username.
- Consolidated email notifications are enabled.
- The email is delayed due to servers being busy
1. The user’s email is incorrect (misspelled or different email address in the system)
- Admin Center > Manage Users
- Admin Center > Employee Export > Check value in user export file
- Check user value email in their Employee profile information
2. The specific email notification is not enabled to trigger emails
- Admin Center > Company Settings > E-Mail Notification Templates Settings
- Options > Notifications (if you are the affected user)
3. The user’s email is disabled
- Admin Center > Change User Email Notification
4. The user is not assigned to the default user group (Skip this step if you are using Role Based Permissions)
- Admin Center > Default User Group Assignment
5. The emails are being spammed (blocked by the customer’s firewall)
- See the whitelist solution in the KBA 2087468 Email Notifications: Emails Blocked or Not Delivered Due to Spam Filters, Spoofing, Bombing (mass mail), IP Address Whitelists
6. The Single Recipient feature is enabled in provisioning.
- If the Single Recipient Feature is enabled in provisioning all system generated emails will be triggered but will be forwarded to the configured email.
- For more information on this feature see the KBA 2087739 - Email Notifications: Setting a Single Sender and Single Recipient for Email Notifications - BizX Platform
- As customers do not have access to provisioning, you will need to request your Partner or Customer Support to check the following.
- Login to Provisioning
- Company Settings
- Search for Single Recipient and review the settings.
- As per the configurations in the screenshot below, all system emails will be forwarded to the email SingleRecipientEmail@SuccessFactors.com
7. Emails not received for Forgot Password…
- Password not being received – Is the user using his/her corrects username to retrieve his/her password? Note that username is case & space sensitive.
- Is “Forget Password Support Notification” enabled under email-notifications?
- Username not being received – Is the user using the correct Email address to retrieve username?
- Company ID – Is the user using the correct company ID? Note that username is case & space sensitive.
- Same email address is attached to more than one username
8. The user’s email is used for other users in the system and therefore the system doesn’t know to whom to send the notification to. This could be specially true for retrieving username.
- Check the User Data File (UDF) for duplicate emails
9. Consolidated email notifications are enabled.
- Admin Center
- Company Settings
- E-Mail Notification Templates Settings
Check “Interval For Consolidated Emails (In Hours Starting From 12:00am)” in Email Notifications.
10. The email is delayed due to servers being busy
If all emails have worked in the past, but all emails have now stopped, please open a support case to check if there are currently any system issues being reported.
How to isolate the possible causes for email not being sent:
The steps below will help you determine by using simple steps, whether the email issue is due to an environmental issue (either on the datacenter level, or at the customer's email server level).
How to check if the email is being sent?
- In order to verify if the email is being sent or not, we can ask the customer to change the email address of an affected user to another email address and ask them to replicate the issue.
You could use a common email address like Gmail, Hotmail, etc...
- If you receive the email then this is proof that the email was generated and therefore feature should work each time. Ask the customer to test it again with their email.
- If the email is received for you but still not for customer, it could be their email server settings.
You should go through KBA 2087468 - Email Notifications: Emails Blocked or Not Delivered Due to Spam Filters, Spoofing, Bombing (mass mail), IP Address Whitelists
- If the email is received for both parties but was not sent previously for customer, or if nobody receives the email then you need to engage with Support to have them check with the Operations team if the email was sent and if mail servers are working optimally.
What if I am receiving the email intermittently? Sometimes it gets sent and other times it does not.
Our Datacenters use more than one email server per datacenter. Therefore it is important to make sure that ALL servers have been whitelisted by the receiving end (customer's mail servers).
See KBA 2087468 - Email Notifications: Emails Blocked or Not Delivered Due to Spam Filters, Spoofing, Bombing (mass mail), IP Address Whitelists
If all corresponding email servers have been whitelisted, then it may indicate that one or more email servers on the datacenter side are experiencing issues.
Open a Support incident to have this checked.
Emails used to work and suddenly they are no longer being received for all users.
Your first check should always be to verify with an "outside" email.
This will help you eliminate the customer's email server from the equation. If the mail is still not received then it's probably a datacenter wide issue.
A support incident should be raised if this is the case.
Note: Email issues can often be easily resolved by the client following some basic tests outlined above, as well as some basic logic testing which we will outline below.
That said, as there could be multiple causes, please feel free to engage with customer support and have them evaluate all possible causes.
E-mail, email, notification, not delivered, not sent, not triggered, not received, blocked, , KBA , sf email notifications , LOD-SF-PLT , Foundational Capabilities & Tools , How To