- How to enable the Instance Refresh Tool for my Instance
- Setting Permissions for Instance Refresh Tool
- Accessing the Instance Refresh Tool
- Pairing the Instances
- Creating an Instance Refresh Request
- Monitoring instance refresh Tool
- How to handle various refresh status
- Whats new in instance refresh ? Check out the SAP Help guide here
"Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental."
SAP SuccessFactors HCM Suite
How to enable the Instance Refresh Tool for my instance?
The instance refresh tool is available on all Datacenters except DC41, DC42 and DC47. If your instances belong to these data centers, please proceed with Manual Refresh (Refer to KBA 2277508 - SuccessFactors Cloud Manual Instance Refresh Process & FAQ).
Note : The instance refresh Tool does not support cross DC refreshes at this time for example DC2 to DC4 etc - If your instances do not qualify to use the tool, we will proceed with the older refresh offering for more information on requesting manual instance refresh, see KBA 2088117 - Instance: New Instance Creation, Test Instance, Instance Refresh, Clone - Platform.
How to use the Instance Refresh tool?
Successfactors Application now allows you to create, monitor and cancel the schedule of your refresh requests directly from the admin center in a few easy steps.
Here is a quick video showing how to set up Role base permissions & to schedule the refresh:
The instance refresh tool will not be visible in your instance until the RBP permission have been granted to your refresh admin.
Note: Prerequisite Role Based Permission which must be enabled prior to using the Instance Refresh Tool.
These below permissions must be enabled on both Source and Target in order for the tool to work
From Role Based Permission navigate to Manage Integration Tools -> Access to OData API Metadata Refresh and Export
From Role Based Permissions navigate to Metadata Framework -> Admin access to MDF OData API
From Role Based Permissions navigate to Manage Instance Refresh -> Select All
Warning: Ensure the username/userid you are using to schedule the refresh has less than twenty (20) characters
Media not computed.
If you still do not find the Manage Instance Refresh permissions, contact SAP Cloud Support by raising a BCP ticket.
For more details on the Instance Refresh Tool please refer to the SAP help Document - Instance Refresh Guide
- Perform the OData API Metadata Refresh and Export in order to avoid validation failures with the tool:
- Go to Admin Center
- Under "Company Settings" click on OData API Metadata Refresh and Export / Alternately search on Admin Center directly about OData API Metadata Refresh and Export
- Once the page is loaded, click on "Refresh Metadata Cache"
- Wait until the message Refresh Successful! after metadata gets refreshed.
- Make sure to have enough lead time for activities that you wish to perform after refreshing the target instance. We recommend to schedule the request at least 7 days in advance.
- The refresh operates based on the snapshot that is taken right before the refresh starts and not before creation of the request.
- If you have Onboarding enabled in the TARGET instance, please ensure that the ReportID set for Ad Hoc Reports Export jobs are existing in both the source and target instances. The report ids required are:
- Onboarding User Sync
- Onboarding Permission Sync
These report Ids are required as a part of job configuration in Provisioning. For more information on scheduling an Ad Hoc Reports Export job, see KBA 2193439. Ad Hoc reports are included for the HCM Suite product refreshes, hence if the report is only existing in the target instance and not in source, the reports are deleted after refresh.
- Except for Employee Central and Onboarding, all other audit logs are not copied from the source to target instance post refresh.
- During blackout period for Preview upgrade - Instance Refresh is unsupported from Higher code release (Preview) to lower code release (Production). The blackout period is the time during post Preview release until Production release - check release schedule on KBA 2521176 - 2019 Release Schedule - SuccessFactors - Product Update
- If the source instance has (Single Sign-on) SSO setup and target has Non-SSO setup, make sure that a Non-SSO admin account is maintained in the source instance, before refreshing your target instance. This admin account allows you to access the target instance post refresh, by customer or partner.
- WFA : Is not copied as part of the BizX refresh refer too 2341764 - Workforce Analytics (WFA) Refresh - FAQ KBA for further details.
Note : ORD (Advanced Reporting data source) refresh is now part of the BizX refresh however some reporting products are not refreshed reference (KBA 2315083) for further details and reference blog on Advanced reporting.
- The Destination Settings and Security Center configurations of Integration Center are not copied to the target instance after refresh.
Considerations Post Refresh:
- As part of the Instance refresh process scheduled and re-occuring jobs will get restored Automatically in the Target Instance e.g. Username, Filename, Password.
- The job owner will also get restored post refresh which means if the job owner no longer exists in the Newly refreshed instance the job will fail with "Invalid job owner".
- After a system instance refresh, information such job requisitions history or applicant history is lost, this is expected behavior see KBA for further details 2834508 - Job requisition history and applicant history lost after instance refresh - Recruiting Management
Instance Refresh Tool Statuses:
For the full list of status for Instance refresh tool and required actions (if any) for each status, please refer to the Admin Guide.
[BETA FEATURE] Data Anonymization
You can now mask personally identifiable fields of Recruiting Management in the Source Instance that are copied to Target via the instance refresh Tool. This Feature is only available using the Instance refresh Tool and is an Opt-in which is part of BETA Testing. Startinng Starting b1911, Employee Central and User Management fields (limited) will be supported for Data Anonymization using Instance Refresh tool.
We do not recommend to use the Feature if under strict timelines see KBA for more details 2827300 - [BETA FEATURE] Data Anonymization for Recruiting Management [Instance Refresh Tool]
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Question: What if the refresh status fails or is showing a reverted status?
Answer: If the status of your refresh is showing Failed or Reverted please Please contact SAP Cloud Support with the error log file. To download the log file, click the ellipses button under the Action column for the corresponding refresh request and then click "Download Log". For more details on status of your refresh please review SAP help Link here. If your refresh is urgent also download the attached refresh form to proceed with manual refresh while the RCA is been complete by engineering on the failed or reverted status of the refresh.
Question: What if the refresh completes with warnings?
Answer: If the status of your refresh shows completed with warning you can still log in to the updated target instance and continue with other scheduled activities and testing. There may be some actions from SAP Cloud Support or customer side. See full list of warning messages and actions on KBA 2812823 - Refresh Status Information - Completed with warning - Full List
Question: You receive the following error: "The application encountered an unknown error". How do i fix the error?
Answer: If you encounter an unknown error when pairing the tool KBA 2789795 - "Instance Refresh / Instance Sync Tool: The Application Encountered an Unknown Error" to resolve the error.
Question: You receive the following error: "Unable to fetch existing requests. Please contact SAP Cloud to run Company Schema Upgrade Job and Company Data Migrate Job from Provisioning, and then refresh the metadata cache. To refresh cache, go to "Admin Center" > "OData API Metadata Refresh And Export" and then click "Refresh".". How do i fix the error?
Answer: If you encounter an this error it is due to missing Role based permission - follow steps in KBA 2819650 - Unable to fetch existing request - Instance Refresh Tool
Question: I receive the Error codes : TENANTREFRESH_MAX_SCHEMA_SIZE_EXCEEDED , Validation failed. Or "The refresh cannot be submitted because the data volume of the source instance is too large for the automated refresh process. Please contact SAP Cloud Support to trigger a refresh with the operations team." How should i proceed?
Answer: If you encounter this error code please submit a Support ticket with LOD-SF-SER-REF and complete attached refresh form to proceed with the manual refresh. See KBA: 2277508 - SuccessFactors Cloud Manual Instance Refresh Process & FAQ
Question: If you schedule a refresh a month ahead, can it be canceled UP To the start of the refresh procedure?
Answer: Yes. it can be canceled before the start of refresh.
Question: Can we make certain sensitive data field scrambled?
Answer: Currently this is on the road map kindly refer the earlier section [BETA FEATURE] Data Anonymization for further details.
Question: Is this tool handling also the Provisioning post-refresh configurations and integrations re-establishment?
Answer: Yes all existing integration are reverted automatically via the refresh tool this includes SSO, LMS, ONB, RMK and WFA.
Question: When can we refresh our instance?
Answer: The refresh can be scheduled within the tool on weekdays from Monday to Thursday. (Friday-Sunday is not available due to patches and maintenance) The refresh will be scheduled during non-working hours.
Question: Onboarding module is included on the Refresh?
Answer: No, Please submit an incident to the module onboarding to request this type of refresh.
Question: Is LMS available in the Refresh tool?
Answer: LMS is now available as a BETA feature for some customers in DC10, refresh requests are validated by support and customers who would be eligible for the tool will be informed in their refresh incident. To review the process for self service refresh please review KBA 2835061
For any other LMS refresh, please open an incident with LOD-SF-SER and refer to KBA 2165346 - Learning Management System Refresh Process.
Question: Schedule dates will need to take into consideration local time or DC time?
Answer: The date shown in the tool when you submit a request will be converted and shown according to the browser time zone. The tool will schedule the refresh at 8 PM (DataCenter time) or 2 AM (DataCenter time) based on the DBpool availability with the DataCenter.
Question: Is the refresh scheduled time also shown in the interface besides the selected Refresh scheduled date? So we can see for how late the refresh is scheduled. Especially if there is a down-time of the target instance.
Answer: Yes, the scheduled date will be shown in the Overview page in the tool.
Question: Can we cancel the refresh.
Answer: Once a refresh is in progress, it can't be canceled.
Question: Can we do e-mail masking?
Answer: The Recruiting Candidate e-mail Addresses and the Employee Profile e-mail Addresses can be masked.
Question: In the validation failed status was the refresh actually done? was it useful? in what kind of scenario system shows this kind of status?
Answer: The refresh is not done, if it is in 'Validation Failed' status. This status might pop up, if the desired space is not available in the system, or if Instance Refresh was disabled in the target instance for some reason.
Question: Are Custom Themes copied from the Source to the Target instance after a refresh?
Answer: Yes. Custom Themes are copied as part of the refresh.
Question: Is it possible to use the Instance Refresh tool for cross-datacenter instances?
Answer: The tool currently does not allow to select a different data center for the target environment.
Instance Refresh Tool , IRT , Refresh , refresh , clone , Instance refresh, How to enable the instance refresh tool , Instance refresh form , form , Instance Refresh , instance refresh , refresh , Failed , failed refresh , Reverted , reverted refresh , reverted , The application encountered an unknown error , The Application Encountered an Unknown Error , Unable to fetch existing requests , Unable to fetch existing request , Company Schema Upgrade Job . validation failed , TENANTREFRESH_MAX_SCHEMA_SIZE_EXCEEDED , KBA , LOD-SF-SER-REF , Instance Refresh , LOD-SF-PLT , Platform Foundational Capabilities , Problem
|IRT_BizX_Instance_Refresh Request Form_b1911.docx|