You perform a WIP Clearing run. You notice postings on a difference account for Material valuated with the Moving Average perpetual cost method.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
Go to the Inventory Valuation workcenter.
- Go to the Periodic Tasks view.
- Go to the WIP Clearing run and search for the Run ID: ABC (ABC represents the Run ID).
- Select the Run ID: ABC and navigate to the Postings tab.
- For Material XYZ Moving Average is maintained the Perpetual Cost Method (XYZ represents the Material ID).
- In the Application Log of the run you notice postings to G/L Accounts of type DIFFER (Differences). You expect the postings for materials with the Moving Average method to capitalize differnces on the Inventory Account directly.
The WIP Clearing run allocates to Difference accounts for Materials with the Moving Average cost method when the inventory quantity is zero (0) for the Material; With zero quantity in inventory, inventory can in fact not be valuated. To verify the inventory quantity on the last day of the accounting period selected in the WIP clearing run check the Material Cost History for the Material in the Inventory Valuation work center.
This is the expected system behavior.
Since there is no Inventory Quantity available on the Posting Date of the WIP Clearing run, identified Production Lot differences are posted to Difference Accounts rather than capitalized on the Inventory Ledger to immediately influence the Material's inventory cost.
WIP Clearing, Moving Average, Difference Account, DIFFER Posting , KBA , wip clearing run , standard cost , moving average , differ , SRD-FIN-INV , Inventory , Problem