You want to change the Fixed Asset Class from a specific Fixed Asset from ABC to DEF. However, when you try to do the change the system throw the error message:
'Choose fixed asset class with same account determination group XYZ'
ABC means the source asset's class.
DEF means the target asset's class.
XYZ means the asset's assigned account determination group. It doesn't necessarily mean the account determination group that the fixed asset class is currently assigned, since you might have changed this assignment after the asset was created, hence the assignment is only valid for assets created as of the change's date.
SAP Business ByDesign.
Reproducing the Issue
Go to Fixed Assets work center.
Select Fixed Assets view.
- Choose the fixed asset in question and click Edit > Master Data.
- Change Fixed Asset Class from ABC to the target DEF.
System throws error message: 'Choose fixed asset class with same account determination group XYZ'
The source Fixed Asset Class and the target Fixed Asset Class have different Account Determination Group (ADG), due to which, system does not allow changing the Fixed Asset Class. Because there are already postings made to the G/L Account determined by the ADG of the source Fixed Asset Class, if you change to a Fixed Asset Class with different ADG, further depreciation postings will be made based on the new determined G/L Account, and it's not allowed to post depreciation of the same fixed asset on different G/L Accounts.
To successfully change the Fixed Asset Class of the fixed asset in question, you have to create a new fixed asset with required Fixed Asset Class (DEF), and transfer the asset with incorrect asset class to the new asset. Follow the steps below:
- First of all, create a new fixed asset with the right Fixed Asset Class (DEF).
- After that, use Complete Transfer of Individual Material to completely transfer an individual material from the source fixed asset to the target fixed asset. As a result, the original fixed asset will be set as Retired if there is only one individual material assigned.
- Go to the Fixed Assets work center, and choose the Fixed Assets view.
- Select the Fixed Assets subview.
- Select the source fixed asset in question, and choose Manual Posting and then Complete Transfer of Individual Material.
- Check the proposed Document Date and Posting Date. You can enter a Description. You can change the proposed Closing Step.
- Check the specified source individual material number or select a source individual material.
- Specify the fixed asset number of the newly created fixed asset.
- Click Simulate to display the document in the general ledger and preview it before the Posting is made.
Please be noted that as the Account Determination Group is changed, so complete transfer will repost the already posted acquisition and depreciation to the G/L Account based on the new Account Determination Group.
fixed asset class; account determination group; complete transfer of individual material; , KBA , fixed asset class , change fixed asset class , account determination group , complete transfer of individual material , SRD-FIN-FA , Fixed Assets , Problem