You are creating a Live Data connection in SAP Analytics Cloud and get the following error: failed to connect to system.
- SAP Analytics Cloud
- Data Sources: SAP HANA, S/4HANA, SAP BW etc.
This message appears in Live connections when we cannot establish a connection to the live data source.
There are multiple data sources and methods to create a Live Connection, follow the steps that best describe your scenario.
Using Direct Connection (CORS)
When you select Direct Connection, your browser is connecting directly to SAP Analytics Cloud and your data source: HANA, BW, S/4HANA, Live Universe Connection, etc. using two different requests. This type of connection requires Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) to be enabled in your datasource.
These are some of the possible causes:
- HTTPS Certificate: the certificate used by your data source is not trusted by your browser. This is easy to test:
i. Open a new browser tab and connect directly to the data source. For example, for HANA you can use: https://<xs-host:port>/sap/bc/ina/service/v2/GetServerInfo.
ii. Verify if the certificate is automatically trusted.
iii. You should not see any warnings or be requested to accept exceptions.
iv. For more information see article 2482807 - Browser configuration using HANA Direct Live Data Connections (CORS) in SAP Analytics Cloud.
- Authentication method: is not correctly configured in your data source.
i. You may have selected SAML SSO in your connection as an authentication method, but the current SAP Analytics user does not exist in the data source (S/4HANA or HANA).
ii. The user or connection (InA) does not allow SAML as an authentication method. To verify it, open a new tab in your browser and use the URL indicated in the previous example (HANA, S/4HANA, etc.). It should open without prompting for a new authentication.
iii. You will find notes on how to perform this action in the product’s documentation. See article KBA 2545434 with more information on SAML SSO settings for SAP HANA and KBA 2487567 - Troubleshooting SAML assertions when configuring SAML SSO in SAP Analytics Cloud
- CORS configuration. After verifying the two previous steps, you may still have problems if the backend CORS configuration is incorrect.
i. To verify that this is the case, open Chrome Developer Tools and check that the Console shows an error similar to this:
https://<xs-host:port>/sap/bc/ina/service/v2/GetServerInfo?timestamp=1507241400382: Response to preflight request doesn't pass access control check: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. Origin 'https://yoursapanalytics.cloud' is therefore not allowed accessii. If you see that error in the console, it means that your data source has incorrect CORS settings, rejecting the request from your SAP Analytics tenant to get data in the same page.
iii. Verify your data source CORS settings
- SAP HANA upgrade/EPM library upgrade (SAP HANA ONLY)
CORS settings could be easily removed after a HANA upgrade. CORS configuration steps must be repeated after every SAP HANA or SAP EPM library upgrade.
Refer to: Live Data Connection to SAP HANA Using a Direct Connection and SSO
Using SAP Cloud Platform connection
This is similar to the previous scenario. You can only experience this problem if:
- CORS: you have selected authentication method None but you have not correctly configured CORS in the HANA XS engine.
- SAML Single Sign On: the user does not exist in HANA or the SAML configuration for HANA is incorrect.
For more details on how to enable SAML SSO to HANA in SAP Cloud Platform, review this blog SAP Analytics Cloud: Live Data Connection to HANA in SAP Cloud Platform With SSO.
- Username requires to change password. If you selected the box on expiration of the password and the user must change the password on the next logon, you may see the following error if you open Chrome Developer tools in your browser:
Status Code 403. You can test trying to connect directly to your HANA in SAP CP and verify if you are prompted to change your password.
Using a Reverse Proxy (deprecated as of Wave 2018.22)
This applies to different on-premise data sources: HANA, S/4HANA, BW, SAP Universe Live Connection, etc.
You will need to examine the logs of your reverse proxy to understand why the connection failed. You still can have the same scenarios described for Direct Connection: CORS configuration and incorrect SAML SSO method.
- Certificate: your reverse proxy may not trust the certificate sent by your data source if you are connecting to it using HTTPS. To verify this is the issue, you can test simply using HTTP connection instead in your reverse proxy configuration and verify if this works correctly. You can either resolve the trust issue importing the certificate authority or configure your reverse proxy to ignore certificate warnings as indicated in KBA 2391607 for Apache.
- Path or settings: if you have incorrectly configured parameters in your reverse proxy, SAP Analytics Cloud can't connect or authenticate. To verify it, open a new tab in your browser and connect directly to the path used for your data source. For example, for HANA:
Live Data connection to SAP Universe
Many of the requirements for HANA also apply for Live connections to SAP Universes. See article 2527393 - SAP Analytics Cloud Live Data Connection to SAP Universes via SAP BOE Live Data Connect.
- 2659735 - Troubleshooting CORS issues with SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC)
- How to find User Assistance for SAP Analytics Cloud?
- Ask a question on the SAP Community
- 2487011 - What information do I need to provide when opening incidents with SAP Analytics Cloud (Hint: Use component LOD-ANA*)
Your feedback is important to help us improve our knowledge base.
Please rate how useful you found this article by using the star rating feature at the beginning of this article.
HANA, SAML SSO, IdP, live, direct, remote, BOC, SAPBusinessObjectsCloud, BusinessObjectsCloud, BOBJ, BOBJcloud, BOCloud., BICloud, BO Cloud, connecting, conecting, conectando, conexão, SAC, Business Objects, Cloud-Analytics, CloudAnalytics, SAPCloudAnalytics, failed to connect to remote system, cors, vanish, empty, xs, admin , KBA , LOD-ANA , SAP Analytics Cloud , LOD-ANA-BI , SAP Analytics Cloud - Business Intelligence (BOC) , Problem