You face an issue when either downloading or uploading a cloud data source, or when editing and saving it. The system does not save the uploaded xml file or does not let you save the changes to your cloud data source.
Another scenario is that you are importing a layout which involves objects based on a cloud data source (such as embedded reports), however after the import, the involved cloud data source are inconsistent or deleted.
Reproducing the Issue
- In the source system, go to the work center view Common Tasks, in the Business Analytics / Administrator work center.
- Click on Upload / Download.
- Go to Upload and click on Upload Object.
- Select the XML file to be uploaded and click on Save.
You get an error message 'Database table XYZ is invalid' (where XYZ is a database name)
- Go to the work center Business Analytics, Design Data Source work center view.
- Search for your cloud data source.
- Click on Edit and perform a change.
- Click on Save.
You get an error and cannot save the data source.
- In the source system, go to Adapt.
- Click on Export Layout,
- Enter a layout name and click on OK.
- In the target system, you may have 5 cloud data sources (as an example). Go to Adapt > Import Layout.
- Select your file and click on OK.
- After the import is completed, go back to Business Analytics, view Design Data Sources.
- Show all cloud data sources.
- Some (or all) of them were deleted.
There is a restriction on the number of fields that can be added to a cloud data source. This is documented in the help center article called Create and Edit a Cloud Data Source:
The maximum number of characteristics is 15. The total number of fields in a Cloud data source is 20.
This restriction has always been in place, however there was an issue in the technical check which would raise an error when you try to add more fields. This issue is now corrected, and the changes are estimated to be deployed on October 9th, 2017. You may face the following scenarios:
- You cannot upload a cloud data source if it contains more than 20 fields. This has always been the case and remains unchanged.
- After the correction deployment, you are not be able to create cloud data sources with more than 15 characteristics or 20 fields in total.
- If you already have such a cloud data source, you are not be able to edit and save it after the correction deployment.
- Note: currency and the measure unit fields are counted within the 20 fields as well.
- As described in scenario 3, of you upload a layout that e.g. includes embedded reports based on cloud data sources with more fields than are allowed, the inconsistent cloud data sources will be deleted.
The correction has no immediate impact on existing cloud data sources or reports that are based on them. However, it impacts your options to edit such objects. For this reason, we strongly recommend to redesign all cloud data sources which contain more than 20 fields. If you require a higher number of fields, please split them up into several cloud data sources and create a join between them.
Please also note that upload / download of cloud data sources, if they are joined with other data sources, is not supported as of now.
KBA , AP-RC-ANA , C4C, ByD, Travel: Analytics Tools & Frameworks , How To