You experience poor performance using SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC).
- SAP Analytics Cloud
There are multiple reasons why performance may be affected. This article (KBA) describes how to collect more information and test your network, browser and stories.
- Reproduce the problem. Is the issue reproducible:
- on more than one user’s machine (notebook, mobile device)?
- on the same notebook on a different network?
- on another story with the same connection?
- with a different user login?
- with both Chrome and Edge?
- after clearing the browser cache?
- Isolate the source.
- When did the problem start happening? If it worked before, what changed? If it has always been slow, isolate and simplify it.
- If at all possible, reproduce the issue on a responsive layout story, with a single analytic model using data acquired into SAC.
- Document clear steps when performance issue occurs.
- Perform the same action with a different computer. Your computer may be affected by domain policies, browser settings or specific configurations for your user account.
- Check if other users in your location also experience the same problem.
- Confirm you have the correct client software and client configuration requirements at System Requirements and Technical Prerequisites on the SAP Help portal.
- Enable "High Performance" power plan. See 2327454 - Low performance occurs in tables / grid and other areas of SAP Analytics Cloud.
Your network connection has a significant influence on your experience. Steps to test your network:
- Wireless: We all love wireless but it is not as fast as Gigabit ethernet and other network adapters.
- Reverse proxy: Are you using a reverse proxy to access SAP Analytics Cloud? If so, verify that the behavior also happens when you connect to the public SAC URL and access the demo stories.
- Internet connection: Test the latency from your network to your SAP Analytics Cloud tenant. Warning! This is only an estimate. You can use the internet test Web site of your choice and simulate a connection to the city where your tenant is located. See this link for further details on the SAP Cloud Trust Center - Data Center Locations.
- VPN: Using VPNs may affect your performance as you may be tunneling your request to SAP Analytics Cloud via your VPN connection. You can compare the performance when connected directly to your network. If you notice a significant improvement, contact your VPN administrator.
SAP Analytics Cloud story
- Quick win: Re-save the story file to take advantage of incremental improvements between versions 2018.21 and 2019.06
- Quick win: In model preferences under Data and Performance, toggle on “Optimize Story Building Performance”. This prevents automatic refreshing of data during story design.
- Simplify story: Use canvas style stories to your advantage.
- If you do not need to display too many charts / widgets at once, split charts across different tabs (canvas) so they are not loaded at once.
- Review and implement the suggestions from SAP Analytics Cloud Best Practices for Performance blog. Updated continually! Please check this for latest updates.
- Review the Data Visualization Handbook for design tips and best practices.
- Minimize usage of restricted measures and use calculated rows and columns (in-cell / in-grid) instead. See 2673776 and Adding Calculated Rows and Columns in a Table.
- Limit results with Top N (server side) but AVOID the Auto Top N (client side) feature. See Top N improvements and Filtering Data by Rank.
- Chart optimizations: Avoid charts with a large number of data points (>500).
- Table optimizations: Leverage Explorer instead of using large tables.
- Images: Resize SVG and PNG files to decrease download times of these files.
- Linked analytics: Linking too many charts will trigger updating their values every time the selection or filter changes.
- Settings: Take advantage of Progressive Chart Rendering. See article 2604574 for further information.
Live Data versus imported data (acquired models)
- If you are using a live data connection, the web browser is requesting data directly from the source (backend / server) system. You can verify with your SAP HANA, SAP S/4HANA, SAP BW, SAP BW/4HANA or SAP BI administrator on how to test the performance of live connections.
- You can compare performance of similar stories using imported data (you can use the sample model, for example).
Capturing performance information in Google Chrome
- If you have tested all the previous steps and still experience performance problems, capture more details using Chrome Developer Tools. See article 2413393 for further information.
Cloud availability center and data center status
- The Cloud Availability Center offers a personalized dashboard with at-a-glance visibility into cloud product availability. Accurate, up-to-date information into the status of your cloud products, critical information, maintenance updates, notifications, all in one place. Read more about it here.
- Follow the availability of the platform at https://sapcp.statuspage.io.
- 2327454 - Low performance occurs in tables / grid and other areas of SAP Analytics Cloud
- 2699872 - How to improve performance in the SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC) app for iOS
- SAP Analytics Cloud Best Practices for Performance
- 2673776 - Restricted measures in the Cross calculations dimension causes poor performance in SAP Analytics Cloud
- How to find User Assistance for SAP Analytics Cloud?
- Ask a question on the SAP Community!
- 2487011 - What information do I need to provide when opening incidents with SAP Analytics Cloud (Hint: Use component LOD-ANA*)
Your feedback is important to help us improve our knowledge base.
Please rate how useful you found this article by using the star rating feature at the beginning of this article.
slow, performance, speed, C4A, BOC, SAC, AnalyticsCloud, Analytics Cloud, SAP BusinessObjects Cloud, network connection, bandwidth, SAP Cloud for Planning, sc4p, c4p, cforp, cloudforplanning, EPM-ODS, Cloud for Analytics, Cloud4Analytics, CloudforAnalytics, Cloud 4 Planning, BOC, SAPBusinessObjectsCloud, BusinessObjectsCloud, BOBJcloud, BOCloud., SAC, SAP AC, Cloud-Analytics, CloudAnalytics, SAPCloudAnalytics, slower, Performance problem, stopped, slow, slowness, hangs, hanging, Cross calculation, sac bp performance sap kba , KBA , LOD-ANA , SAP Analytics Cloud , LOD-ANA-BI , SAP Analytics Cloud - Business Intelligence (BOC) , LOD-ANA-PL , SAP Analytics Cloud – Planning (BOC) , LOD-ANA-BR , SAP Analytics Cloud - Digital Boardroom , LOD-ANA-PR , SAP Analytics Cloud – Predictive (BOC) , Problem