Unable to use a vacant position to add a new employee as we get an error as position is already assigned.
Employee Central - Position Management
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to admin centre > add new employee > navigate till job information section > add the position > you get a messge as position is already assigned.
- But this position has no one assigned as of today.
- Run a person and employment audit adhoc report > select columns as employee ID and position ID > filter using position ID
- If you see the result, we can see that an employee is assigned to that position but it is effective future date, so as of now the position is vacant in fact.
- There is no hint of any employee occupying this position in the position org chart as well.
Though the position is vacant as of today. the system is behaving as per the logic follows,
Lets take a look at test audit report we took for this scenario:
- Effective start date is in future (when today is June, effective date is December), so as of today, the position is vacant.
- If we check the effective end date of this record, it will show as end of time.
Now consider, you are trying to add a new employee to this position as of today,
- Logically when you assign a new hire to this position it should create a job record which will show that hire will have this position from today till 12/31/9999.
- As of January 2018 then, there will be two employees active in the position as per system. System is working as per design to mitigate any inconsisitency in records and restricting you from adding multiple employees here.
Remove the job record from occupied position, only then you will be allowed to do new hire with this position.
position is already assigned vacant position assign position to new hire new hire position , KBA , LOD-SF-EC-POS , Position Management , LOD-SF-EC , Employee Central , Problem