Receiving Errors & lack of details of root cause when performing an import
Specifically background information import
HCM All versions
Reproducing the Issue
- EC Users will be familiar with performing various data imports using the below interface.
- Through here we can perform several various user information import
- You will see highlighted below "Background Import"
- It is always recommended to not use this "Import Employee Data" interface when attempting tp update background data.
- By using "Import Employee Data" interface this may lead to issues when attempting to update background information.
- Such as a lack of information should an error occur during this import process.
- The correct process when attempting to update background information is to user "Import Extended User Information"
- This can be found in admin center / Update User information
- As you can see from the above screenshot , the interface for "import extended user information" is very similar to that of "import employee data"
- There are 3 main call outs within this interface and when performing this process that users should always be aware of :
- It is always recommended to pull the template when setting up your import file.
- This template will show the required headers and formatting required for the import to be successful, this will also take into account any additional fields / portlets which have been added to the application since the last import
- Its is always recommend to make a back up of the nessecary information before performing any imports. Good practise is to perform a weekly or daily back up of background information or personal information to ensure redundancy should disaster recovery be nessecary.
- Please be aware of the selections made within the interface " Specify Additional File Options" , there are overwirte options here which will remove any information within the fields should this be selected existing information may be lost.
Background Import / EP / People Profile / Import Extended User Information / Import Employee Data , KBA , LOD-SF-EP-JOB , Scheduled jobs , How To