Customer reported that under Japanese Locale environment/CN Locale environment, no result will be displayed if you just search with one single character, but if you search with 2 characters, users can be found without problem.
In EN locale, if you just search with one character, no results will be displayed neither in Search bar nor Company info page.
Reproducing the Issue
1. Search via Action Search
2. Search via Company Info
- Action/People Search in the Header:
- Normally, it takes 2 characters to be entered in the search box before a search will be triggered. This is for performance reasons, where allowing less than 2 characters can cause the backend system resources to be unnecessarily taxed.
- However, It is by-design that when the user is using a particular language like Japanese or Chinese – as configured in "Options | Change Language" – that the Action/People Search in the header will allow a single character to trigger the search, rather than 2 characters. The reason for this is because certain languages like Japanese and Chinese have 1-character names.
- People Search in the Company Info | Org Chart:
- Similarly to item 1.1, it takes 2 characters to be entered in the search box before a search will be triggered.
- Unlike item 1.2, the Org Chart People Search does not allow 1-character searching when the user is using a particular language like Japanese or Chinese. Furthermore, it is more of a performance concern to have the Org Chart People Search allow 1-character searching compared to the Header's Action/People Search. The reason why is because the latter makes use of a full-text search capability, whereas the former does a direct DB search. Therefore, for performance reasons, we may not allow be able to allow 1-character searching when the user is using a language like Japanese or Chinese.
- A work-around to 2.2 is for the Japanese user to use the Header's Action/People Search of 1.2 to locate the employee – using a 1-charcter search – and then from the employee's Quickcard that can be brought up from the Action/People Search, select the "Org Chart" link, so that the Company Info | Org Chart page will be brought up for the particular employee.
Company Info Action Search , KBA , LOD-SF-FWK-UI , User Interface Framework , How To