- Crystal Reports not responding.
- Takes time to go back to the Database Expert window.
- Needs to wait a long time after editing the SQL Query of a report.
- Slow to return back to Crystal Reports after editing the SQL Query.
- After creating or modifying the SQL Query of a Command Object, Crystal Reports hangs for some time.
- SAP Crystal Reports 2008
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
Reproducing the Issue
- In Crystal Reports, create a report off any data source.
- Add a Command Object to the report and type the desired SQL Query.
- Click "OK" to accept the SQL Query.
Crystal Reports then hangs for some time before coming back.
- Crystal Reports needs to send the SQL Query to the database to validate the syntax, as well as to retreive the definitions of each fields of the result set for the report.
- The time it takes, is related to the time it takes to execute the SQL Query entered in the Command Object, on the database.
For example: If the SQL Query entered takes 15 minutes to execute on the database, it will take about 15 minutes in Crystal Reports after entering the SQL Query to get back to the Database Expert window, as Crystal Reports is waiting for the database to send back the result set to be able to retreive the definition of each fields to be used on the report.
- It is normal behavior, as Crystal Reports wait for the database to complete the execution of the SQL Query entered in the Command Object.
- The only suggestion will be for the Database Administrator to look at if there is a better way to write the SQL Query to improve the performance, or look at ways to improve the database performance.
CR, Performance, Command Object SQL Query , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or BusinessViews Manager , Problem
Crystal Reports 2008 V1 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2011 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2013 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2016