- How does the Succession Org Chart behave when the employee is the incumbent for two or more positions?
- A given employee holds two positions in the system, but when you search him/her in the Succession Org Chart, only the first position is displayed.
SuccessFactors Succession Management
The Succession Org Chart is not prepared to handle an employee holding more than one position. Therefore, when you search by an employee, the system will always display the first position that is found in the database, not allowing you to select which of the positions assigned to the employee you want to view. This applies to both Legacy Positions and MDF Positions nomination methods.
Currently, this is a limitation of the Succession Org Chart. For you to be able to view the second position, you will need to search for the manager or direct reports of this second position and then navigate the hierarchy.
If this is a common scenario in your company, there are a few workarounds to show your users that a given employee is holding two or more positions:
- Display the "Successors" portlet in the Employee Profile, which will list both positions of the employee. See below screenshot, where “VP HR” and “VP HR 2” are the two positions the employee holds. This would make the users aware that a given employee is incumbent for two positions and this allow them to search on the other position (the one the Succession Org Chart does not retrieve) by other means (searching for the manager or direct reports and navigating the hierarchy).
- The second workaround would be to use a custom field (or repurpose another field) to indicate that the employee holds more than one position and display this field in the Succession Org Chart. The same concept applies here that, if the user is aware that a given employee is incumbent for two positions, they can search on the other position by other means.
- This workaround is only applicable to MDF Positions. MDF Positions allow you to search by the Position in the Succession Org Chart. Based on this, we can make the incumbent field of the position searchable and search on the employee's UserID in the Position search box. This would bring the two or more positions associated to an employee. Please see below screenshot, where I search by user “smadmin” and I am able to retrieve both positions associated to the employee.
KBA , LOD-SF-SCM-ORG , Succession Org Chart , Problem