Mandatory extension fields created in View All mode do not trigger any error message in Overview mode when left empty. The expectation is that every mandatory field, no matter on which screen it was created, should trigger an error when left unfilled.
Reproducing the Issue
As an example we take Purchase Orders.
- Open the Work Center Purchase Orders and Requests
- Go to Purchase Order view
- Select Show > All Purchase Orders
- Copy e.g. a Purchase Order in Finished status
- The new Purchase Order is opened in Overview mode
- Although the mandatory extension field you created is only added to the View All mode, you expect an error message when saving the document on Overview mode
- The system allows saving the Purchase Order without error
The system uses a different UI component for both Overview and View All mode. The extension field created in one does not trigger error message in the other.
Note: in addition to the above, the system also does not trigger the "mandatory error" message when you save in View All mode in a tab with no mandatory field, even though there are other empty mandatory fields in other tabs. The mandatory field check is only performed for the currently displayed screen.
This is a technical limitation in the Silverlight mode of Business ByDesign. Currently there are no plans to adjust this as the main focus is on the HTML5 mode, which will not have the same logical structure as the Silverlight mode.
KBA , SRD-MD-OM , Organizational Management , How To