Have you ever found yourself creating the same exact RBI with different data for different months or users? For example, do you have a RBI for each sales rep where the only difference between the files is the source data and access rights? In this article, we will walk through the process by which a user can create new Roambi files based on existing Roambi files. Here are some other situations where using a template approach will save you time:
- Monthly RBI - you have an RBI for January data and once February closes, you would like to create the same exact RBI (structure, etc) but you want to rename it for February and source it with February data.
- Per User RBI - you have an RBI for each person with just their data. As you add more users you need to create a specific RBI for each user.
Instead of manually creating a new RBI each time, RoambiScript allows you to automate this process with a few simple steps.
- SAP Roambi Cloud
- Create a Roambi API client
- Download RoambiScript
- Install Java
- Create Properties File
- Published Roambi File
- New source excel files
Now that all the pieces are in place, let's get started:
- Download the following attachments:
- Let's open up template.csv and evaluate the fields.
1. PROP_PATH this is the location and filename for the properties file that is created using the "configure" option.
2. FOLDER: destination folder for the soon-to-be-created RBIs
3. TEMPLATE: template RBI that will be used to generate the new RBIs
4. SOURCE: source file in the Roambi Library that will be used to create the new RBIs
5. TITLE: name of the soon-to-be-create RBI
6. EMAIL (Optional): email address of the user to which you want to grant permission to this RBI
Note: If you have more RBIs to create, simply add more rows to this csv.
- Now let's open up template.cmd to see what's going to happen when it comes time to run this program.
1.FOR loop that points the program to "template.csv" for the following parameters:
2. Setting variables for the columns in the csv file.
PROP_PATH this is the location and filename for the properties file that is created using the "configure" option.
FOLDER: destination folder for the soon-to-be-created RBIs
TEMPLATE: template RBI that will be used to generate the new RBIs
SOURCE: source file in the Roambi Library that will be used to create the new RBIs
TITLE: name of the soon-to-be-create RBI
EMAIL (Optional): email address of the user to which you want to grant permission to this RBI
3. Roambiscript command to create new RBIs in the Roambi Library based off existing RBIs (but using new data sources).
- Open the command prompt and navigate to the folder that contains "template.cmd"
- Hit Enter and the program will begin by creating the new RBI files in the Roambi Library.
NOTE: If you have spaces in your folder or file name, make sure to wrap that portion of the command in double quotes. Example: "My File Name.xls"
roambiscript, files, roambi, , KBA , BI-ROM-CLD-PUB-BI , Roambi Cloud publishing clients – BI, Cognos & SSR , Problem