- Steps to be performed by customers before and after refresh activity for SuccessFactors Learning Management System
- Best Practices and Frequently Asked Questions on LMS Instance Refresh requests
- How to purge or manage Unsent Emails after the refresh
- Download the latest LMS Instance Refresh form
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
- SAP SuccessFactors HCM suite
- SAP SuccessFactors Learning Management System
- After Refresh activity, customers may face issues related to integration, Connectors, FTP, etc because the configuration files of the target instance have been overwritten with the source instance configuration.
- To avoid such issues, refer to the steps provided in the KBA to be followed before and after the refresh activity.
- Refresh requests must be requested through a MEDIUM incident under LOD-SF-LMS-SER and include the filled in Instance Refresh form (See the See Also section below) signed and attached in the incident.
- It is necessary to allow a minimum of 10 days (Business Days) notice to our Operations team to have a Refresh booked in. They will review the request and advise on the availability for the Refresh to be carried out and to approve physical completion date/time.
- Refreshes requested for 'as soon as possible' will be assigned the next available timeslot. If your preferred date/dates is not available Operations will advise on the next available date.
- Refresh activity overrides all the data, configuration files and other configuration settings in the target environment and adds source data into it.
Source is the environment from where the data is being copied and Target is the environment in which the data will be pasted.
- The Target environment must be on the same or newer version than the Source environment.
- During refresh activity, the source LMS environment will still be available for users and admins. For example, if you have requested to copy Production data into staging environment, it will not affect Production environment availability. During the activity schedule, you can access Production environment.
- Why a refresh? for instance, you refresh your stage instance with production data so that you can test new configuration or functionality with actual production data before implementing the change in production environment.
- When requesting a refresh for LMS you should also refresh the related Bizx instance and vice versa to avoid data, access issues (sometimes naming conventions differ between environments which can cause issues if we only refresh LMS or Bizx)
Before Refresh Activity:
Please note that #2,3,4 are optional: if you do not disable it pre refresh, the scheduled will be copied over to the target instance and you need to ensure that you disable them afterwards if they do not need to run.
If you do disable them in the source environment prior refresh, then they will be disabled in the target environment as well and you will need to enable the ones you do need to run post refresh. In case of notifications on step #2, please note that if you choose to not disable it before the refresh, users may receive some notifications from target instance right after the source is copied to target. If this is something that have a huge impact on your business, we recommend to disable it before the refresh process.
- Reset the LMS admin password of one LMS admin in the source environment so you can access the environment natively post refresh (see KBA
After the refresh has taken place, the integration between Bizx and LMS will be overwritten with the configuration of the source environment.
This means the ONLY way to access LMS target environment post refresh will be to access LMS directly (also called native login - e.g. https://company.plateau.com/learning/admin/nativelogin.jsp).
Note that for some customers this is not permitted, in which case, you should inform support beforehand so we can copy your BizX configuration and replace it next business day hours of the processor.
- Turn off all notifications in both environments.
- Login into LMS as Admin
- Go to System Admin -> Configuration -> Global Variables. Select Mail tab
- Deselect Enable email checkbox and click on “Apply Changes”
- Please copy the configuration settings present in your target environment for SMTP Server
- Login into LMS as Admin
- Go to System Admin -> Automatic Processes
- Deselect “Schedule This Process” checkbox and click on “Apply Changes”
- Login into LMS as Adm
- Go to System Admin -> Connectors
- Deselect “Schedule This Process” checkbox and click on “Apply Changes
- Take a backup of all configuration files (Open the file in edit mode, copy paste the content into notepad and save as txt)
- If you only want to back up the relevant ones for we recommend (if in use at your company) BIZX, CONNECTORS, REPORT_SYSTEM, iContent, SSO
- confirm you have know your SFTP password for the target instance (in case you are using separate SFTP accounts for separate instances)
- Take a backup of all Deployment Location screen(Open the file in edit mode, copy paste the settings into notepad and save as txt or take screenshot)
- Please note that the password is encrpyted in Deployment Location, so the copied password should be corrected manually.
After Refresh Activity:
- Replace all configuration files with the backup files in the target environment. This will surely help in avoiding new issues related to integration and Connectors after refresh activity.
- Please note that for SFTP password details and some SSO values are encrypted in the file and do not actually show the real value so copying and pasting may not be enough and you will need to input in the file the actual values again and apply changes.
This will not take care of admin emails which should be deleted manually or replaced in bulk using the admin connector.
- Login into LMS as Admin
- Go to System Admin -> Configuration -> Images
- Upload your company logo
- Please note that those will be copied over and can only be accessed by the admin who scheduled them (Reports > Report Job tabs) or from Bizx proxy.
Therefore, to avoid confusion, we recommend that you communicate with your admins to ask them to delete any recurring report jobs they might have in the source environment and they don't need in the target environment or to log in the target environment post refresh to deleted those jobs.
NOTE: From version b1705 it is possible to Purge the emails manually from the application.
To do this:
- In the Learning Admin interface select 'System Admin' > Tools
- Select 'Manage Unsent Emails'
- Select 'Delete Unsent Emails' - please see screenshot below as reference:
- Revert back Deployment Location settings in target LMS.
- Go to Content> Deployment Location> Refer to the backup screenshot and revert back the settings.
- Please note that the password in the backup screenshot is encrypted, you need input the correct iContent account password manually.
Support agent and CSM please refer Internal Memo to get latest refresh request forms.
SF, Success Factors, LMS, learning, Refresh, instance snapshot, DB, database dump, clone, process , KBA , LOD-SF-SER-REF , Instance Refresh , LOD-SF-LMS , Learning Management System , How To
|LMS_Instance_Refresh Request Form_V1.2.docx|