You have migrated fixed assets. Later you realize that these are incorrect assets. You want to reverse the migrated assets. Therefore you triggered the button Reverse Migration in each of these fixed assets master data.
Knowing that the fixed assets status is still showing as Capitalized you have manually set a retirement date. This action changed the fixed asset status to Retired.
Now during the automatic depreciation runs, these reversed fixed assets are still calculating and posting deprecations - which is not expected.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
- Select the affected fixed asset XYZ and Edit.
- In the Values tab - go to Depreciation Overview tab. The posted depreciation amount is showing in green.
- Go to Journal tab you can see Periodically Posted Regular Depreciation with the depreciation amount.
- Click Journal Entry ID which is showing in the same line of the Periodically Posted Regular Depreciation
These actions will take you to the journal entry amount posted and the source of it: 52 - Fixed Asset Depreciation Run.
When the asset is migrated you cannot directly reverse the migration. Just by reversing the migration the asset will not retire automatically. Also merely changing the status to Retired is not sufficient to stop the system from calculating and posting pending depreciation for this asset.
As a rule - any pending depreciation for the migrated fixed asset will be calculated by the system during automatic depreciation irrespective of the asset status.
Whenever performing depreciation run, this asset is getting picked since pending deprecations are not yet posted.
Please proceed as follows:
- Remove retirement date for the effected assets.
- Change the Depreciation Method to: No automatic depreciation.
- Run depreciation run for period 999/9999, explicitly for the effected asset and choose 999/999 as period selection criteria.
Consequently - no further deprecations will be posted automatically due to the change in depreciation method. Existing deprecations posted for the asset in question will be reversed.
Once this action is done, if you wish to set the status back to Retired you can proceed. No further deprecations will be posted to these assets as the Depreciation Method is not designed for automatic depreciation for these effected assets.
KBA , SRD-FIN-FA , Fixed Assets , How To