While entering a Tax Number Type Corporate Identity Number (CIN) for an Indian Customer Account you receive the error message: Your entry is too long. Do not enter more than 20 characters.
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Receivables work center
- Go to Customers > Customers view
- Select the Indian Customer Account for which you want to maintain the Tax Number Type
- Click Edit > Financial Data
- Move to Tax Data tab
- Under Tax Numbers section click Add Row.
- Select Country: IN - India
- Select Tax Number Type: Corporate Identity Number
- Enter the respective Tax Number
The alphanumeric code you just entered has 21 digits, but as the system allows only 20 digits an error message is thrown: Your entry is too long. Do not enter more than 20 characters.
The Corporate Identity Number code or Company CIN No. / code is a 21 digits alphanumeric code / number issued to every company incorporated in India.
Nevertheless the Tax Number Type field was implemented with a max length of 20 digits and cannot be extended due to technical issues. Extending the data type for this field will have a huge regression impact.
The Tax Number Type field won't be extended to permit the 21 digits of the Corporate Identity Number.
As the Corporate Identity Number should be printed in output forms (e. g. invoices) you can use preprinted forms as a workaround. In this way the CIN can already be printed on those forms and all other data will come from Business ByDesign as usual.
KBA , AP-RC-BCT , Business Config. Tools (SAP Business ByDesign , How To