- LMS Admin needs to update the User Role for his company's employees. This can be done individually by editing each user record in the system but this is not viable when dealing with an extensive user base.
- LMS Admins can make use of the User Connector to perform a mass User Role update in the LMS.
Learning Management System (LMS)
1. Searching for Users which currently have the Default System User Role: LEARNING_USER
- Under System Admin > Configuration > System Configuration, click on the Edit icon beside SEARCH.
- Increase the number of results allowed when downloading the search.
#This entry would now limit the maximum number of rows returned by Flex searches.
resultMaxRowAllowed=2000 ---> increase no. of max rows allowed
- Click on Apply Changes.
- Under Users > Users, run a search for Role ID: Exact LEARNING_USER. Click on Search.
Note that in this example we are updating the Role ID of users that are currently active in the system, but it is possible to perform the same changes for inactive users or both active and inactive users.
- Click on the link to Download Search Results andsave the spreadsheet with the search results locally.
2. Consulting the Connector Workbooks
- Open Connector Workbooks and look for item 3 – User Connector
The required field for the Standard User Connectors are: NOTACTIVE, STUD_ID
The field you want to update: ROLE_ID
Pay special attention to description, rules and usage notes of these fields.
- Check the Input File Format on item 1.3 – Data Migration Notes in the Connector Workbooks. For the Standard User Connector the column delimiter character is pipe ("|") and the row delimiter character: !##!
3. Creating User Data File based on the search results
- Open a new worksheet in Excel.
- Select columns A, B, C and D. Left Click > Format Cells. Select Text. Click Ok.
- Fill out the cells as the following: A1= NOTACTIVE, B1= STUD_ID, C1= ROLE_ID, D1= !##!
- Open the spreadsheet with the search results you downloaded.
- Copy rows from Active to NOTACTIVE in the new worksheet.
- Copy rows from User ID to STUD_ID in the new worksheet.
- In the new spreadsheet, fill out rows for ROLE_ID with the Role ID you want to update e.g. TP_LEARNING_USER
- At the end of each row, use the row delimiter character: !##!
- Remember the possible values for NOTACTIVE are N = Make active, Y = Make inactive. See Connector Workbook.
- Find and Replace > Replace tab
- Find what: Yes. Replace with: N.
- Mark Match case. Mark Match entire cell contents. Search: By Column. Click Replace All.
- Save as a .csv file and close the spreadsheet.
- Open the .csv file you created with a plain text editor e.g. notepad++, notepad.
- Replace commas with pipe
- Replace > Find what: , Replace with: |. Click on Replace All.
- Replace , !##! with !##!
- Replace > Find what: , !##! Replace with: !##! Clickon Replace All
- Save as a text file user_data_<Suffix>.txt. Suffix is your Tenant ID.
4. Uploading the file to the FTP server
- Find out your FTP server and username
- Under System Admin > Configuration > System Configuration, click on the Edit icon beside CONNECTORS.
- You will find the FTP server details in the following settings:
# FTP connection settings. Complete this section if either input or output files will be provided via FTP.
# In environments where access to root level directory is denied, path can be configured as relative path.
# Relative path should be in the format - <directory in user home directory>/<sub directory>/<sub directory> where <sub directory> are optional.
# Possible values for connector.ftp.protocol: ftp, sftp
connector.ftp.userID=<you user id here>
connector.ftp.password=<your password here encrypted>
- The folder you will need to upload the input file:
# If input file will be placed on an FTP server, specify the absolute path to the directory. If input file will be on a local drive, specify the address for the local drive.
- Your Tenant ID:
#For SaaS customer use only. Specify tenant suffix for input files.
connector.input.file.name.tenant.suffix.override=<your Tenant ID here>
- Login to the FTP server.
- Upload the user data file you created in the FTP server.
5. Schedule User Connector
- Under System Admin > Connectors > User Connector, mark Schedule This Process, choose a time of the day of your preference to run the connector and click on Apply Changes.
- When the job starts, LMS picks up and processes the file from FTP.
- LMS updates User Records.
- LMS Archives input file.
- Update Role ID
- Update User Role