You have assigned expense report's costs to a free cost object, however no approver is determined.
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Travel and Expenses work center.
- Go to Expense Reports view.
- Find the concerned expense report and open it.
You notice that no approver was determined.
In your expense report's approval process, you have defined work distribution as e.g. Approver of Highest Cost. The approval determination for free cost objects is not possible because there is no manager assignment to this kind of cost object.
In order to determine an approver in such cases, you may either use standard cost centers, instead of free cost objects, or use approval determination based on the reporting line unit of the traveler. For that, please follow the below steps:
- Go to Application and User Management work center.
- Go to Approval Process subview.
- Use the Line Manager of Employee as the Work Distribution on the approval process rule for expense reports. Note that you have to create a new rule in order to set up data.
Having the expense report approval rule set based on the reporting line unit of the traveler, means that the approval task is triggered to claimer's line manager no matter how the costs are allocated.
KBA , SRD-FIN-ERM , Travel and Expense Management , How To