- If a user is not receiving the Forgot Password email, here are a few things to check.
Note: SuccessFactors support staff have a comprehensive troubleshooting guide that they can go through with you to determine which of the causes applies in your instance and what actions will correct any current issues you may be experiencing with emails not being delivered. Please open a support case with Customer Success and request that they perform detailed email diagnostics.
Troubleshooting Forgot Password Issues
If a user is not receiving the Forgot Password email, here are a few things to check.
1. Go to admin tools > Change User Information and lookup the username of the user reporting the issue.
2. Go to admin tools > System Properties > E-Mail Notification Templates Settings > Forget Password Support Notification and confirm that the email is enabled
3. Go to admin tools > System Properties > Password Policy Settings. Are "Case Sensitive (recommended)" or "Mixed Case required" options enabled? If either option is, make sure that the user is entering their username correctly with lowercase and uppercase characters.
4. Go to admin tools > System Properties > Password Policy Settings. Is "Retrieve Password by providing Email Address" enabled? If it is not, make sure that the user is NOT trying to enter their email address in the username field. (Unless their email address also happens to be their username)
a. If Retrieve Password by Providing Email Address is enabled, and the user is trying to retrieve the password using their email address, then the issue may be duplicate records for this user with the same email address. When there are duplicate or multiple records using the same email address, the system is unable to determine which password to send, since many users/records have the same email address, and so will not send any email. See PLT-10011
i. Go to admin tools > Employee Export > Export Users > save csv file to your desktop.
ii. Search your file for the email address being used to retrieve the Forgot Password email. Repeat search and confirm if there is only one record with this email address.
iii. If you find ANY other records for active or inactive users, then you will need to decide if you can change the email address the records that are currently sharing the same email address. Only when there is a single record with this email address will the 'Forgot Password By Email Address' email work.
5. Go to admin tools > Change User Information and lookup the username of the user reporting the issue.
a. Confirm their exact username and email address so you can perform your own test
b. Change their email address on record to your email address (keep in mind that if you are using an email that is already in the user directory file then Forgot Password via email is not going to work for this test unless you change the email address in your main account).
c. Go to their instance and use the Forgot Your Password feature. Enter the username and confirm that you get the email. Also perform the same test for Email Address if they can retrieve password by entering email address. If you get the email(s) you can confirm to the client that the feature is working when the user enters the username or email address correctly. (Remember to reset the user's email address)
d. NOTE! If the client in admin tools > Password Policy Settings has enabled "Forget Password feature will generate new Password for user" then your tests are also going to change the user's password, as a courtesy let the user know their password has changed.
e. If you do not get any email, and have confirmed that based on all the settings above you should get an email, document all your results and screenshots in your case with Support.
- Please see our solution that outlines in more details most login issues your users may experience.
KBA , sf email notifications , sf passwords , LOD-SF-PLT , Foundational Capabilities & Tools , Problem