What is HRIS Sync?
- This article explains what the HRIS Sync is, and how it works.
- We have Employee Central and we use something called a HRIS Sync to ensure data is synchronized between Employee Central and the SAP SuccessFactors HCM Platform.
- How does HRIS Sync work in different scenario’s?
- What is HRIS Sync?
- What is Effective Dating?
- Effective Dating and HRIS Sync
- How is the HRIS Sync triggered?
- How do I create a HRIS Sync Scheduled Job?
- What data is being synchronized?
- What are the Donwstream Impacts to the rest of the suite?
- More Information
Human Resource Information System (HRIS) Synchronization (or HRIS Sync for short) is the exchange of data between Employee Central (EC) and the SAP SuccessFactors HCM Platform, to allow consumption of EC data by other SuccessFactors modules. HRIS Sync is a background Scheduled Job that periodically looks for data that has been changed in EC and updates the legacy user tables with data from EC. The job itself is typically configured to run on a schedule. For data updating using UI, the synchronization process is triggered automatically at the end of the update for current and past dated records.
Please note that the below diagram is in no way the "end to end" process flow of all data in the system. The below image is intended to assist in visualizing how data is synchronized from Employee Central to the SAP SuccessFactors HCM Suite and the data being consumed by other HCM Suite modules (outside of Employee Central).
Data is synchronized from the current Employee Central data records to Employee Profile. The system will action this sync depending on when the data is set to become effective or based on the HRIS Sync job type that is being run.
|Daily HRIS Sync||This job is scheduled to run once daily to pick up any future effective dated changes that become effectively active on the day the job runs on. For example, the job will run daily, if the days date is 04/04/2017, then the job will sync changes for users who had future dated changes to their current Employee Central record, that become effective on 04/04/2017|
|Full HRIS Sync||This is a “one off” run of the HRIS Sync job, that will ensure all "currently effective as of Today()" Employee Central data is sync’ed to the SAP SuccessFactors HCM Platform according to sync rules. This job is scheduled by SAP Cloud Product Support only if there are multiple cases of data not being in sync between Employee Central and SAP SuccessFactors HCM Platform. Please review the knowledge base article “Employee Central - What is a Full HRIS Sync” for more information. For more information please refer to KBA 2080065 - What is a Full HRIS Sync? - Employee Central|
|Real-time sync integration by UI operation (on-the-fly)||If data changes are made to an employee’s current records, that become effective on the same day; For example - if the days date is 05/05/2017 and the Effective Date of the change in EC is on 05/05/2017, or, if the change is past dated (for example if the days date is 05/05/2017 and the changes is Effective Dated on 01/05/2015 but the record is to be the "current record" for the employee (meaning the 01/05/2015 record is still the Effective Dated record that is current for todays date), the data will sync “on-the-fly” (real time) once the change is Saved (or Approved if a Workflow is involved).|
Effective Dating means that information records capture time as part of the data that is stored in SuccessFactors Employee Central, and the timeline of these data changes can be edited.
In the application, the HRIS fields “start-date” and “end-date” are used to capture the Effective Dating of most EC related data. The “start-date” is usually uppermost on the UI. This is where the user has to enter the date from which the changes are effective. Whether an HRIS element is Effective Dated or not is defined by the system.
The HRIS field “end-date” does not appear on the UI but is used for reporting purposes. For example, if you change an Effective Dated field such as "Pay Grade" and set the date when the change should be effective to 01/01/2015, the system records 12/31/2014 as the end date in the background. If you run a report on the pay grade in the time from 01/01/2014 until 12/31/2014, the pay grade value that was valid in that time frame will be shown.
The system does not change the stored data. Instead, it creates a new row of data to track the new values from the new Effective Date of the change, and continues to store the values that were effective before the change.
Please refer to article 2511923 - Employee Central: What is Effective Dating? - for further information
Effective Dating plays a major role in HRIS Sync logic. The HRIS Sync job will look for changes in the related EC Element, and then when the Effective Date is reached (when that record becomes the "current" record) the HRIS Sync will synchronize the data from that EC Element to the SAP SuccessFactors HCM Platform. So, depending on the Effective Date of the change, and where you make the change from (Import, UI, API) will determine how and when the data is synchronized to the SAP SuccessFactors HCM Platform.
For example, the below table indicates the Job Information data structure for an employee. There are 3 Effective Dated records for the employees Job Information, so how does the system know which record is current?
Example of logic : If todays date is "25/07/2017", which record is current and synchronized to the SAP SuccessFactors HCM Platform?
|Effective Date||Change||When is this record synchronized to the SAP SuccessFactors HCM Platform|
|01/01/2018||Employee's Manager is Changed||As the Effective Date of this record is "01/01/2018" and todays date is "25/07/2017", this record is not current, and the data held in this record is not synchronized until the Daily HRIS Sync job runs on "01/01/2018".|
|01/01/2010||Employee's Manager is Changed||As todays date is "25/07/2017", this record is the current record that is synchronized. Therefore the current manager of the employee will be the one defined in this Job Information record|
|01/01/2000||Employee (user) is Hired||This is a historic record, and the contents are not synchronized to the SAP SuccessFactors HCM Platform|
Depending on what method Employee Central data is being updated and what Effective Date the data has been given, will depend on how/when the system will synchronize data. The below table explains the expected behaviour for each way EC data is updated.
|HRIS Sync Scheduled Job||
The Scheduled Job "HRIS Sync" (Daily or Full) runs on a schedule. It will synchronize Future Dated changes that become Effective on "todays" date.
2512570 - HRIS Sync: How to create a HRIS Sync job
2080065 - What is a Full HRIS Sync? - Employee Central
|Real-time sync integration by UI operation||When EC data is updated in the UI, if the record being updated is the "current" Effective record, then the sync will occur immediately and will not trigger/use the HRIS Sync Schedule Job||2080114 - HRIS Sync: How to force a sync of a single Employee’s EC data - Employee Central|
|EC Data Import||When EC data is imported (where sync mappings are hard-coded/defined), this will also trigger the HRIS Sync job (Scheduled Job) to run. The system will use the HRIS Sync job template of the "top of the list" HRIS Sync job in Provisioning > Manage Scheduled Jobs.||2080813 - HRIS Sync: Import & API upsert considerations - Employee Central|
OData API or SOAP API (same as EC data import)
|When data is changes via OData or SOAP API - the result is the same as if the data was imported (see the row in the table "EC Data Import)||2080813 - HRIS Sync: Import & API upsert considerations - Employee Central|
The HRIS Sync Job itself is managed in Provisioning > Manage Scheduled Jobs. There are 2 ways to configure the job - either "Daily Sync" or "Full Sync" modes (as explained above). Please refer to article 2512570 - HRIS Sync: How to create a HRIS Sync job - for more information
Employee Central uses a combination of both "Hard-Coded" (defined in the system/cannot be disabled) and "Custom" Sync Mappings, to map data from Employee Central to the SAP SuccessFactors HCM Suite (to Basic User Data). To understand how your instance is configured, we recommend to follow this process -:
- Hard-Coded Sync Mappings: First review the article "2172427 - HRIS Sync - Data Synchronization From EC to EP - Hard Coded Sync Mappings" - as this covers everything that will be synchronized by default
- Custom Sync Mappings: Next you need to review the Custom Sync Mappings you have configured to understand what additional data (per element) is configured to synchronize, as well as what hard-coded mappings have been overridden. To do this, either download the Succession Data Model XML file from Provisioning or if you do not have Provisioning access, please refer to the following article - 2510447 - HRIS Sync: How to easily view all HRIS Sync mappings without access to Provisioning or XML
- What value will be synchronized?: Depending on the Source and Destination field configuration will determine what format the value is synchronized in. Please refer to the following article for more information - 2510653 - HRIS Sync: What Value is sent depending on Source / Destination Field Configuration
- What order is data synchronized in?: Data is synchronized in pre-defined (not configurable) order. Depending on the order, if you have mapped multiple elements to 1 field, then the last element that gets synchronized wins! Please refer to article - 2510653 - HRIS Sync: What Value is sent depending on Source / Destination Field Configuration - for more information
- What locale is data synchronized in?: The data is synchronized in the default language of the instance only 2543741 - HRIS Sync is not syncing data to EP in the locale/language the change was made in
Most SAP SuccessFactors modules do not have a direct integration with Employee Central. As Employee Central (when enabled) becomes the "source of truth" in the system, any changes made in Employee Central will be synchronized to EP for consumption by other modules.
- For a list of known impacts, please refer to the following article for further information - 2507190 - HRIS Sync: Downstream Impacts
Further detailed information about the HRIS Sync can be found in the Employee Central Master implementation handbook.
HRIS Sync, Daily Sync, ec sync, Explained, Employee Central , KBA , sf employee central , LOD-SF-EC-HRS , HRIS Sync , How To