The collaborative review process (or C Step) allows any two or more roles to participate equally in the review at the same time. While in this step the form is actively in the inbox of ALL users in the step. This makes the C Step unlike any other step where the form is only ever in the inbox of 1 person.
SAP SuccessFactors Performance Management
- This type of step like the iterative step fosters a flexible exchange of feedback between manager, employee and others in the review period by providing a live document that allows for planning, setting expectations and periodic check-ins and documentation.
- In your route map a C step between a manager and employee would be set as: C E EM - For information on all the User Role Codes you can use in our system please click here.
- 360 Multi-Rater or Compensation workflows do not support a C Step in the workflow. MTR-1872
- C Step is typically only for Performance Review workflows.
- The review form can be opened by anyone in this step, however only one person can actively edit the form at any given time. When someone is editing the form the document will be locked to all other roles. (more info on C Step document lock) All parties are allowed to view and edit the form at this step, but you can control what fields each person has access to via template permissions.
- If no step exit user is defined, all roles defined in the step can send it on which means they will see the Send to next step button, but the form will go into a holding stage with the system user (v4admin) until all users complete and send the form. So even if E has completed and clicked the send button, the form may not physically move to the next step until the manager sends the form on. more info on entry/exit users.
Prevent Step If Role Does Not Exist
- Is it possible to have a step in the performance route map that is conditional based on whether the a role exists for the subject? For example, I have an iterative step between the manager and employee for self-assessment and would like to add a second step that would be collaborative between the manager and matrix manager. If there is no matrix manager, we want this second step to be skipped entirely (otherwise the solid manager just gets the form again with no perceived purpose)..
- Yes, you need to check the routing map option 'Only create iterative and collaborative steps when all roles exist for a user' (found under the Route Map name).
Customizing Your C Step
- See: Performance Management: Manage Templates - Customize Button Text and Step Exit Messages in a Route Map
Make Step Exit Comments Visible
- Admin Tools: Manage Template Settings - Allow exit step comments to be visible to all participants in a Collaborative (C) Step
Troubleshooting Forms Stuck in C Step
If a form is stuck in your C Step and no one can move it forward, please refer to this solution: > Performance Management: Routing - Form stuck with v4admin
C Step is unsupported in the 360 workflow
The reason that the 360 workflow does not support the C step is, in the 360 review the process owner is an important role responsible for the last modify step and this Process Owner role can only be 1 user per design.
If a C step is added in the modify stage, multiple users will become process owner and that breaks the rules defined for the 360 review process.
As the C step is not supported in the 360 review process, the Development Engineers do not test functions related to the C step in the 360 process, and therefore all unexpected behaviors related to the C step may not be identified.
c step, collaborative step, entry user, exit user, route map, collaboration step , KBA , LOD-SF-PM-MAP , Routing, Route Maps & Workflows , How To