- This Article describes how to resolve character count error in PMv12 ERROR: Comments Exceed Character Limit even if Character Count is Less Than 4000
- Users are unable to save their comments in their PMv12 forms. When in Microsoft Word, the attached feedback counts to less than 4000 characters including spaces. However in SuccessFactors, when copying and pasting that feedback into the comments, user gets the attached error message indicating it is over 4,000 characters.
- SAP SuccessFactors Performance Management
- PM v11 or PM v12
- More than 4000 in a comment field
- Because the Successfactors application is web-based, when you cut and paste from a formatted word doc into the browser text editor, it's pasted in as HTML. Although only text appears, in reality there are various hidden html tags that was also pasted in.
- Additionally some language characters are double-byte. The 4000 characters count is a raw count which includes html tags used for formatting, as well as double-byte characters, so the real string length may be significantly shorter than 4000 characters.
- To resolve, if user must cut and paste from a word doc, the best practice is to cut and paste to any text-only editor first. It will strip out any embedded tags save only the text. Next copy and paste from the text editor into the PM form comment box. This will ensure only text are entered and nothing else. If text formatting is required, you will need to use what's available in the comment editor to make the proper formatting.
- For PM v12 Acceleration forms you may refer to this article 2372468 - How to Check if the Performance Form has 4000 Character Limit
In addition to these natural field limits, it is also possible to configure certain goal fields with a maxlength attribute, also min-value and max-value, so that you can reduce how much text is entered into the field. Also we can add validation on forms for required fields that checks for how much text is in the field when moving from 1 step to the next and preventing the form from moving if it exceeds the desired length.
Please open a case with support to discuss your specific needs as these variables are not possible for every field. Support will be able to help determine what is possible for the fields in your goal plans and forms.
KBA , sf error messages pm , LOD-SF-PM-ADM , Admin Center, RBP, Permissions and Settings , Problem