This article reviews Importing and Exporting Custom Goal and Objective Libraries and provides as well a zip file with the current standard translations for goal libraries
- SuccessFactors Goal Management
- Each goal plan can only be linked to one goal plan template
- You need to use unique GUIDs for goal entries in each goal library you have
- Your goal plan may include more fields than the goal library supports
- You cannot update the SuccessFactors Library
- Your change may involve a Goal Plan change request
Example of Default vs. Custom Library
- You can identify if you are using the default SuccessFactors Library vs. a custom library by checking each goal plan template. If the goal plan is using the default library it will not reference a library ID:
<obj-library name="SuccessFactors Library">
- If the plan is using a custom library it will reference a library ID.
Example: <obj-library name="My Goal Library" id="100">
- Objective Libraries can be imported from Admin Tools > Manage Objective Library > Import/Export Objective Library
- If you need a base Library to start from you can download the standard SuccessFactors Library which you will be able to customize. Download this from your instance, [admin tools > Import/Export Objective Library] or by building your own. Please open a case with Customer Support if you are unable to download the file and need a copy of the file.
- For multi-language custom goal library, an example of the csv import file can be found in this KB 2442226
- Note: If you have downloaded the default SuccessFactors Library you CANNOT simply make changes to that library and reimport as your changes will NOT apply to the default SuccessFactors Library. When creating a new custom library starting from our default library you need to:
- Rename the downloaded library. Example "Custom Goal Library"
- Renumber the library. Eample the SF library starts from 600000, you may renumber all entries starting from 1600000 or 700000 etc.
- Update the goal plan that will use this new custom library to reference the new goal plan name and ID. Example: <obj-library name="Custom Goal Library" id="1600000">
- Upload new custom library content
- Upload updated goal plan
When using multiple libraries use unique GUIDs. See section Multiple Libraries & Numbering
- ALL GUIDS in the GUID column (C) must be unique. Never repeat GUIDS, except when you use them in the PARENT column (D) to point to the category.
- The first time you load a new library or a new row use ADD (in colum A).
- When reloading the same file, since all records now exist in the system, you need to change any rows previously set to ADD to UPDATE.
- Note: When you export your library, you may see "ADD" already in column (A). You will need to change all these to say "UPDATE" to reimport your file, even though an update may not have been made for that row.
- For new records (these will always have unique GUIDS never previously imported) you will then use ADD for that row.
- When you want to reuse an existing GUID, you do not use DELETE, you just change that row to what you need, including changing parent cat if its reassigned and then use UPDATE fior that row.
- DELETE is only used when that row and GUID will no longer be used by any record in the library.
- No updates will occur if any errors are returned, so you must have no errors, and see the Import Successful message for any of the changes to take effect. See the ERROR section below for common errors.
- Most often you will simply leave this as the default of Western encoding, however if your content contains mutliple languages you may want to use UTF8. If you have specialized languages you may choose to use the character encoding set sepcific to the language being imported such as Japanese.
Goal Library: Made various enhancements to the Goal Library to make is easier for you to work with multiple goals at the same time. These new features are additions to existing Goal Library features. New features include:
o You can now import and export the Goal Library without making any manual changes to the import file, other that ADD, UPDATE, DELETE commands.
o All goal details from the Goal Library can now automatically populate the Goal Plan, and custom detail fields can also be included but are left blank.
- Custom Goal Library: You now have the option to export your custom goal library, like you can with the SuccessFactors goal library. To do so, go to Admin Tools > Manage Goals > Export Library, and select the goal library you want. Click Export to start the export process. (TGM-526)
Fields that can be imported:
- The default library is setup with 2 standard fields that will prepopulate your Add New Goal screen when a new goal is being added. The 2 values are 1. Name and 2. Metric. It is possible your Goal Template may include other fields such as Description or Targets etc.
Multiple Libraries & Numbering
- Libraries must contain unique GUIDS! For example, if you were modifying the default US SF library with numbers beginning 600001, a simple way to clone the library is to save a copy, and then add 1,000,000 to all IDS in GUID and the PARENT_ENTRY_ID columns. [1600001 etc].
- Each goal plan can only be linked to one goal plan template. So although you now have imported 2 libraries, say SF Default 600001 & Custom1 1600001, the goal plan can only reference one of those libraries.
- It is the clients responsibility for creating any translations.
- It is the responsibility of the client to keep a backup copy of the file in a safe place for future reference.
- You need to perform a full file import. You cannot import one new category.
- Why am I getting a blank screen with no error message when trying to import a custom goal library?. If you are having trouble importing your custom library, it is typically due to a data issue in the import file.
- Why are my new goals not showing?: Make sure that the locales are correctly set. en_US etc. If a users locale is UK, but the library is US, then they will not see any of the new UK entries.
- Make sure that your numbering schema is correct. Incorrect GUIDs or using GUIDS already in other libraries will cause entries not to display.
- When creating a custom goal library, the user must remember to associate a goal with a Category for the Parent_Entry_ID. Do not associate a goal with another Goal Library Entry. That is a Goal Library entry is always the child of the Parent_Entry_ID, never of another goal. If this is not done the system won't load the file, nor will it display an error message.
- If you get an error message that the file was not successfully imported, another common reason for failure is that the numbering scheme selected for the custom goal library is conflicting with another goal library already in the client's instance.
- Line 25: The duplicate is in the csv file: This standard error indicates that your file contains duplicates. Find this line in your file and then search your file for that GUID to determine which other row also has this GUID and adjust accordingly.
- Line 33:GUIDs '7100400' are already existing in database: This standard error indicates that your file contains a row to add a new reocrd with a GUID that already exits in the library. Find this line in your file and then search your file for that GUID to determine which other row also has this GUID and adjust accordingly.
- Line 50:Unable to delete/update entry because GUID & Locale combination is not found in the system. You are referring to a GUID that does not exist in the library. Remove this line from your file or correct the GUID.
- Line 73:Unable to add/update entry because this entry can not be a child of the entry type of Parent GUID & Locale combination.: You have invalid nesting. Make sure all Goal Entries belong to a valid PARENT GUID. You will need to change the parent guid to refer to a valid category.
STANDARD GOAL LIBRARIES TRANSLATIONS
If you don't want to create a custom objective library, but simply want to use the existing standard translations, use the zip file attached to this knowledgebase article.
import goal custom library , KBA , LOD-SF-GM-ADM , Admin Tools, Settings, Permissions , How To