You run the GR/IR clearing run and you notice the following errors under the Processed with Errors tab:
- An error occured during depreciation calculation for asset XYZ.
- Asset XYZ Val. View 1: Acquisition Cost Negative.
XYZ means the Fixed Asset ID.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to the Inventory Valuation work center.
- Go to the Periodic Tasks view.
- Click GR/IR Clearing subview.
- Select Run ID AAA (AAA means the GR/IR Clearing Run ID)
- Select Processed with Errors tab
- Select the Purchasing Document Item row
Notice the error messages:
An error occured during depreciation calculation for asset XYZ
Asset XYZ val.view 1: Acquisition cost negative.
Goods Receipt /Invoice Receipt clearing runs compare the amounts from receipts of goods or services with the associated amounts on the invoices. The run first determines the quantity that matches both a goods or services receipt and an invoice, and clears the Purchases in Transit and Unbilled Payables accounts based on this quantity.
When the newly created asset is a result from a complete transfer of an old asset, the Individual Material (IMAT) for it would be same and with the GR/IR clearing tries to find the Goods and Service Receipt in the fixed asset from which the newly created fixed asset was created and fails since it is already transferred. Hence the acquisition costs are turning to negative and this causes the error message.
You have transferred the acquisition cost from Asset XYZ to Asset ABC via complete transfer. Now when you run the GR/IR Clearing for purchase order from which the Asset XYZ was determined and GR/IR clearing searches for the offsetting accounts to clear but the cost is negative in the asset as the GSR used is no more in the asset due to its transfer and basically the acquisition cost turned zero/negative.
In order to resolve the GR/IR run errors you may proceed with the following sequence:
- Reverse the Fixed Asset Transfer as this will automatically correct the posting.
- Perform GR/IR which will then update the acquisition cost.
If you still want to transfer the fixed asset you can perform it and the behavior would be correct now.
GR/IR; acquisition cost negative; , KBA , gr/ir , acquisition cost negative , SRD-FIN-INV , Inventory , How To