- Colors different.
- Colors not retained when copying data from one MS Excel spreadsheet to another one.
- When opening an exported report from Crystal Reports to MS Excel format, and copying and pasting the exported result to another MS Excel spreadsheet, the colors are not the same.
- SAP Crystal Reports 2008
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
Reproducing the Issue
- In Crystal Reports, create a report off any data source.
- Format a database field, a text object, formula field, etc, to a specific color.
- Export the report to MS Excel format.
- Open the exported report in MS Excel, notice the colors in the spreadsheet are exactly the same colors on the report.
- Copy and paste the information to a new MS Excel spreadsheet.
- Notice the colors are now different.
- This is happening because MS Excel uses a palette of 40 colors, and when exporting a report to MS Excel format, if there are specific colors that does not exist in the default MS Excel color palette, it creates a specific color palette for the spreadsheet that reflects the colors used on the report. When creating a new spreadsheet, MS Excel will then use the default color palette, and therefore this is why the colors are different when copying the information from the exported spreadsheet, to a new MS Excel spreadsheet.
- In brief, the reason the colors are different in different MS Excel spreadsheet, it is because the spreadsheet uses different color palette.
- This situation is out of the control of Crystal Reports, as this is happening because a new spreadsheet in MS Excel will always use the default MS Excel palette color. The suggestions to change the colors are to:
- Change the colors of the objects in MS Excel to the desired colors; or
- Change the MS Excel color palette to use the same one as the MS Excel spreadsheet generated by Crystal Reports when exporting the report.
- To change the MS Excel color palette for a spreadsheet, consult the Microsoft Knowledge Base 288412
CR, colour, colors , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or BusinessViews Manager , Problem
Crystal Reports 2008 V1 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2011 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2013 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2016