You are trying to run a report in the web browser and receive an error message after the report loaded for a couple of minutes:
Report cannot be opened; report an incident.
In such a case no report data is displayed and you can only close the report screen. Sometimes other error messages are possible; you will find them in the See Also section.
- SAP Hybris Cloud for Customer
- SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
Go to the respective work center, to the reports list.
- Open the report you would like to run.
- Set the variables as required and click on Go.
You will get the message 'Report cannot be opened; report an incident.'
In many cases the cause of this crash is the huge number of records in the report. To retrieve these records the system is taking more time than the set time or data limit. Due to this a time out event is triggered and system crashes.
NB: A rough number of records that the system should be able to handle without crashing is 100.000.
In custom reports, the time out can also be caused by the design of the underlying data source.
The easiest way to avoid the dump is to reduce the amount of records with a selection on some variables in the report (Edit Selection tab).
For example, if a report crashes when selecting data for a full year, try to run it in two packages (one package for the first half of the year and one package for the second half).
Other tips and recommendations:
- Use the Download function to save the Data source in CSV format as it uses less memory (via Download > Data Source in CSV format)
- Avoid using the Start Options to immediately start the report
- In some cases, sending the report via broadcast can avoid the error. In the broadcast settings, you also have the option to zip the report attachment, which will additionally help to improve performance.
If the report is based on a custom data source, we would also recommend to check the design. We have compiled a list of suggestions in the KBA 2366796 - Best Practices for Modelling Data Sources and Reports - Performance . If you need assistance with designing your custom data source / report, please contact your implementation partner.
A large data volume in the report / data source can also trigger other error messages, such as
- An exception with the type CX_SY_OPEN_SQL_DB occurred, but was neither handled locally, nor declared in a RAISING clause
- The range of the statement to be passed to the database is too wide
Report cannot be opened, report an incident, analytics, time out, report, data source, crash, report error, exception with the type CX_SY_OPEN_SQL_DB occurred, RAISING clause, range of the statement to be passed to the database is too wide , KBA , AP-RC-ANA , C4C, ByD, Travel: Analytics Tools & Frameworks , How To