- Error occurs when installing Crystal Reports.
- During Crystal Reports installation it fails with the error:
"Failed to update cache for execution. Program will exit."
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
Reproducing the Issue
- Start installing SAP Crystal Reports 2011 SP06
- It stops at 'Caching Deployment Units' step, and output the error:
'Failed to update cache for execution. Program will exit'
- Caching blocked by an Anti-Virus software scan.
- To successfully install Crystal Reports, perform one of the following:
- Disable the AntiVirus software; or
- Manually copy the files Crystal Reports uses for the installation.
- To Manually copy the files Crystal Reports uses for the installation:
- Note the Deployment Unit file name from the screenshot above - "tp.microsoft.wse.runtime-3.0-core-32, 188.8.131.520"
- Locate the folder with the same name in Crystal Reports installation package - <CR Installation Folder>\DATA_UNITS\CrystalReports\dunit\tp.microso ft.wse.runtime-3.0-core-32\
- Copy the folder to the folowing destination - <InstallDir>/InstallData/InstallCache/tp.microsoft.wse.runtime-3.0-core-32/184.108.40.2060/
Where "/220.127.116.110/" are manually created subdirectories and the name of the subdirectory matches the file version number and taken from the error screenshot.
Note: For Crystal Reports 2013 the installation may fail on the following Deployment Unit:
This is Microsoft C++ Visual redistributable package and the Deployment Unit has installer within it. Additional step is required. After copying the Deployment Unit, double click on RequiredRuntimes.msi file at the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\InstallData\InstallCache\shared.tp.aurora.microsoft.vcredist7-4.0-core-32\18.104.22.1686
- Repeat the installation.
It may fail on another Deployment Unit, just repeat the steps above for each failed Deployment Unit.
Failed to update cache for execution, Program will exit, Crystal Reports 2011 Error , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or BusinessViews Manager , Problem