- When scheduling a WebI report or publication to mHTML format via SMTP,
- pictures may be attached to the email rather than embedded
- attached pictures may not be delivered at all
- SAP Business Intelligence Platform 4.x
- Outlook 2007 and newer
- This was raised as a possible product defect, as ADAPT01673777, but ultimately deemed to be by design.
- See the Resolution section for full details.
This behavior was determined to be by design, and specifically the result of HTML rendering of the Microsoft Word HTML rendering engine, which is used by Outlook 2007 and later versions.
- In Outlook 2003, Microsoft uses the Internet Explorer HTML rendering engine to render HTML email.
- In Outlook 2007 (and later), Microsoft uses the Word HTML rendering engine, which does not support all HTML and CSS properties. In particular, the "float", "left", "right", "top", and "background-image" CSS properties are not supported. These properties are used by our CR HTML explorer to position the various report parts on the page. Since Outlook 2007 does not support these proper ties, our HTML is rendered incorrectly. Note that this problem is not unique to us. See the customer comments at the bottom of that MSDN document (linked above) to get a feel of the general reaction to Microsoft's decision to not support the HTML/CSS specification:
bi4 bip4 bi bip 4 exchange , KBA , BI-RA-WBI , Web Intelligence , BI-BIP-PUB , Publishing and scheduling in InfoView/BI launch pad , Problem