- Empty prompt.
- Empty List of Values (LOV)
- Dynamic parameter does not display any values.
- Dynamic parameter prompt does not have any values in the drop-down.
- When refreshing a report in Crystal Reports, or in SAP BI LaunchPad, the dynamic parameter does not display any List of Values. (LOV)
- What are the reasons for a dynamic parameter to have an empty List of Values (LOV) in Crystal Reports, or in SAP BI LaunchPad?
- SAP Crystal Reports 2008
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
- SAP BusinessObjects Enteprise XI 3.1
- SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform 4.0
- SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform 4.1
- SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform 4.2
Reproducing the Issue
- In Crystal Reports, create a report off any data source.
- Add a dynamic parameter to the report.
- Save the report to the SAP BusinessObjects Repository.
- When refreshing the report in Crystal Reports, or in SAP BI LaunchPad, notice the dynamic parameter does not show any List of Values.
The List of Values is empty.
- There are several reasons that causes a dynamic parameter List of Values to be empty. But first, find if the report is based off
- A relational data source, like MS SQL Server, Oracle,...; or
- A Universe; or
- An SAP data sources, like a BEx Query, or SAP ECC
As it will determine how the List of Values is generated.
- For reports based off Relational Data Sources
For reports based off Relational Data Sources, like MS SQL Server, Oracle, MS Access,... The List of Values for dynamic parameter are stored in Business View objects stored on the SAP BusinessObjects BI Server repository. Those objects are managed in the Business View Manager, which is part of the SAP BusinessObjects Client Tools. We will suggest to review the SAP Knowledge Base Article first:
2358049 - How to troubleshoot Dynamic List of Values (LOV)
And then review the list of potential causes below.
- There is no data in the data source for the database field on which the List of Values is based on.
- 1657653 - Filter applied on the Business View causes the List of Values to return no data.
- 1813053 - Network security, firewall, or blocked ports.
- 1651124 - Number of records limit set on the Crystal Reports Processing Server.
- 1268716 - 32-bit DSN is missing on 64-bit SAP BI Server. If the Data Connection is based off an ODBC connections.
- 1927209 - Reports Migration causes the List of Values to be empty.
- 1695453 - Reports Promotion causes the List of Values to be empty.
- 2227539 - Data Connection rights not granted, after reports are migrated.
- For reports based off a Universe
Reports based off a Universe, does not use Business View to generate a list of values for a dynamic parameter. It leverage the List of Values defined in the Universe. And the List of Values is fetched by the Webi processing server, which is then sent to Crystal Reports.
- 1332289 - The dimension used for the prompt in Universe, has the option "Hierarchical Display" checked.
- 1812951 - List of Values based on a Date
- 1203908 - Universe based of Oracle database.
- For reports connecting to SAP Data Sources ( BW BEx Query, SAP ECC )
Reports connecting to an SAP Data Source, like an SAP BW BEx Query, it does not show a dynamic List of Values for the BEx Query variables. They are static in Crystal Reports client tool, and this is normal behavior. List of Values are only dynamic when the reports are viewed in SAP BI LaunchPad. The The Dynamic List of Values fetch the values directly from the SAP BW System.
- 1439265 - Reports was not created from the SAP menu, in Crystal Reports.
- 1682711 - SAP Authentication issue. The option: "Disallow insecure incoming RFC connections" is unchecked in Authentication tab.
- 1786406 - SAP Data source hostname name not recognized.
- 1491856 - List of Values based off a Command Object or Stored Procedure are empty in Crystal Reports 2008
- 1800353 - Database password stored in Data Connection fails to decrypt for non-administrative users.
Issue in SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.0 Support Pack 04, to Support Pack 05
- For Parameter with a Static List of Values
Sometimes, we may think a parameter has a dynamic list of values, when in fact it was set as a static parameter, with values manually entered. In this scenario, the list of values for the parameter is stored with the report. If the List of Values for this type of parameter is empty, see the potential cause below:
- 1687004 - Empty List of Values for the parameters when opening a report using an open document call
Blank, box, no parameters, DCP, Dynamic Cascading Prompt, failed, prompt , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or BusinessViews Manager , Problem
Crystal Reports 2008 V1 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2011 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2013 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2016