You try to search, via the basic search, for a value which is contained in an extension field but the result is not as expected. If you use the filter option on the extension field column you can find the expected value.
Reproducing the Issue
- From the desired work center open the desired view. In this case Product Data – Materials view.
- Select All from the drop down. In this case All Materials.
- Search for the desired value, using the basic search, which is available on the extension field XYZ. For example, the value XXX available on the extension field XYZ.
- The search doesn't return the expected result. In this case it doesn't find the value XXX available on the extension field XYZ.
- If you try to filter the column of the extension field XYZ and enter the value XXX you can see that the value you are looking for is there.
The system behavior for the basic search consists in having a search limited to a fixed number of set fields, so if an extension field is added to the system such field will not be searchable using the basic search unless the field is added to the advanced search screen via adaptation mode.
In order to make the extensions fields searchable via the basic search the extension field must be added to the advanced search as well via the edit screen in adaptation mode.
This can be done as following:
- From the desired work center open the desired view. In this case Product Data – Material.
- From the menu (Top right) select Adapt then Enter Adaptation mode.
- From the main screen select Advanced to expand the list of searchable fields.
- From the menu (Top right) select Adapt then Edit Screen.
- Select Extension Fields then General Data.
- You should now see an extension field, if you have created one, which you can make visible by ticking the visible box.
- Save and publish if you are happy and want to have this setting available to every user.
- The extension field XYZ is now visible on the advance search pane and can be searched also via the basic search.
KBA , AP-RC-BCT , Business Config. Tools (SAP Business ByDesign , How To