You cannot post a purchase order because of the error: Account Determination Group is Missing for Product Category. However you entered manually a General Ledger Account in the tab Account Assignment. So you don't see why you should have to maintain the Product Category in the fine-tuning activity Default Account Determination Groups for Product Categories.
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to the work center Purchase Requests and Orders.
- Choose the Common Task New Purchase Order.
- Fill in all mandatory details with General Ledger Account.
- Choose Order.
- You get the error: Item X: Account Determination Group is Missing for Product Category XYZ.
The G/L Account definitely takes precedence over the Product Category. The message on the screen might be misleading. The issue in your case is that there are no details maintained for the particular G/L Account. Since this is not maintained a "Check" is done to find the account determination group of the product category which is also not maintained in this case. Hence the system throws the error message.
- Go to the work center Business Configuration.
- Go to the view Overview.
- Search for the activity Charts of Accounts, Financial Reporting Structures, Account Determination.
- Choose Change Immediately.
- Under Account Determination, choose Costs.
- Maintain the G/L account.
- Afterward, the purchase order can be completed. There is no need to maintain an account determination group for the product category.
KBA , AP-PRP , Purchase Request Processing , How To