When you try Check or Activate an Org Unit/Org Structure, system throws below error message:
Cannot change timeline of cost center XYZ; cost center is used by financial accounting
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Organizational Management work center.
- Select Edit Org Structures.
- Highlight an Org unit.
- Try to Check or Activate it.
There are different cause that may lead to this issue,
If the cost center validity of the org unit XYZ is cut into more than one Time Period Interval then it will end up in above error message. Because there is Open/Active Financial Accounting exists for this cost center, it is not possible to divide the validity of the Cost Center even if the validity dates are continuous.
If the cost center validity of the org unit XYZ have more than one Time Period Interval and if you merge them into one row then it will end up in above error message.
To rectify the issue, check the Active version of the org Unit in Active Area and restore the same in the Planning Area.
For Example: if you merged the two Time Periods into one, then follow the below steps;
1. Go to Organizational management work center.
2. Select Edit Org Structures.
3. Set the Effective from date as DD.MM.YYYY.
4. Highlight the Org Unit XYZ.
5. Go to Definitions tab.
6. Uncheck the Cost center attribute.
7. Again mark the Cost center attribute.
8. Now, go to Timelines tab, where you can find the changes are roll back to old time period.
9. Set the effective from date as today's date.
10. Check for inconsistency.
You can also refer below case document, if the issue is not because of above causes:
1693458 - Error Message: Cannot change timeline of cost center XYZ; cost center is used by financial accounting
1752090 - Error Message: Cannot change timeline of cost center XYZ (); cost center is used by financial accounting
KBA , SRD-FIN-INV , Inventory , Product Enhancement