When saving or releasing a customer invoice, you find the manually maintained external reference value is replaced by the Customer Invoice ID generated by SAP ByDesign.
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to the Customer Invoices work center.
- Create New Manual Invoice.
- Maintain the necessary invoice data and enter the External Reference value.
- click Save as Invoice or the Release button.
The external reference value is replaced by the invoice ID.
In the current release, the external reference field is visible in the Customer Invoice UI. There are 3 methods to determine the external reference in Business Configuration.
- Copied from Own ID
The External Reference field in the invoice document contains the ID of the document that is transferred to accounting. For example, if you create and save an invoice with ID CI-12345, then the ID CI-12345 is copied to the External Reference field.
- Copied from Predecessor Invoice ID
In case a referenced invoice exists for this document, the invoice ID is copied to the External Reference field. For example, if you create and save credit memo with ID CI-6789 for invoice CI-12345, then the ID CI-12345 is copied to the External Reference field of the credit memo.
- Copied from Predecessor Reference ID
The External Reference field in the invoice document contains the value of the External Reference field of the corresponding invoice request. This value is free text and can reference a document from the SAP Business ByDesign system. For example, you have a web shop and prefer to use the order number of the shopping cart as an external reference in your invoices in SAP Business ByDesign.
Since the first option is the default setting, system always copies the customer invoice ID to the external reference. It is the correct system behavior.
In case you want to change the default setting, please follow the steps below:
- Go to the Business Configuration work center.
- Open the current Implementation Project.
- Navigate to the Activity List and go to the Fine Tune phase.
- Find the activity External Reference Determination for Customer Invoice.
- Add it to your project and open it.
- Change the setting and save it.
For more detailed explanations, please refer to help document 'Configuration: External Reference Number Determination for Customer Invoice' in the Help Center.
web services, external customer invoices, invoice, , KBA , #### , ##### , AP-CI-CI , Customer Invoice , How To