When you assign a Service Product ABC as a Line Item into a Sales Order, system throws below error message:
Item XX: Service product and item type code do not match. Check your service master data to ensure that you have not defined a service product with an item category group for expenses, or vice versa.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to the Sales Orders work center.
- Select New Sales Order from the common tasks.
- Maintain the respective information.
- Go to Items tab and add the service ABC (ABC represent the service ID)
- The following error message occurs:
Item XX: Service product and item type code do not match. Check your service master data to ensure that you have not defined a service product with an item category group for expenses, or vice versa
The cause for the issue is that Service ABC is not marked as Expense.
To verify follow the below steps:
- Go to the Product and Service Portfolio work center.
- Select the Services view.
- Open the Service ABC.
- Go to the Sales Tab.
- Select the respective Sales Organization used in the Sales Order.
- You can see that the item group is an expense item group.
- Navigate to the General tab.
- You can see that the Expense indicator is not checked.
If you want to use a Service as an Expense in a Sales Order, it is required that the Service is marked as Expense.
Once the service master data was saved, it is not possible to activate the expense indicator anymore. The activation is only possible before the first save.
The reason why the indicator cannot be activate after the first save is due to the fact that the service could have been used which would affect other scenarios an lead to inconsistencies.
To overcome the issue, you can create a New Service with same data as per above service (use can use Copy functionality) and in addition mark it as an Expense.
After saving the Service, you can able to use it any Sales Order.
2642419 - The Expense Indicator In The Service Master Data is Greyed Out
Service, Expense Indicator, Category Group, Master Data, ByD, item type code do not match, Expenses , KBA , service product , expense indicator , AP-SLO , Sales Order Processing , How To