- Text displays squares.
- Squares appear behind characters.
- When viewing a report in Crystal Reports, squares appears behind Thai characters.
- Viewing the same report on some computers displays the Thai characters properly.
- Crystal Reports 2008
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
Reproducing the Issue
- On a MS Windows 64bit OS, create a report in Crystal Reports off any data source.
- Insert a text object with the following Thai text: ไม่รู้จะได้หรือป่าวนะ
- Set the font to: Tahoma or AngsanaUPC
- View the report.
Notice squares appears behind some Thai characters
- Save the report
- Open the report in Crystal Reports on a MS Windows 32bit OS
Notice the Thai characters now display properly.
- The source of the issue is the version of the Microsoft Unicode Scripts Processor: usp10.dll
- It only occurs on MS Windows 64bit Operating System, when using a Text Objects, and the fonts: Tahoma and AngsanaUPC
- To display the Thai characters properly in a Text Object, change the font to: Arial Unicode.
- The recommendation is to use the Arial Unicode font, but a potential workaround is to replace the Tahoma font by an older version of the file.
To do so, follow the steps below:
- On the computer where Crystal Reports, or SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise is installed, go to the path: C:\Windows\Fonts
and backup the original tahoma.ttf and tahomadb.ttf files to another place.
- Copy the tahoma.ttf and tahomabd.ttf with a file version of around 3.15 from a Windows XP or Windows 2003 machine.
The font files should be located under the path: C:\Windows\Fonts.
- Copy the tahoma.ttf and tahomabd.ttf to the computer where Crystal Reports, or SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise is installed, then right click on the files and select "Install" in the shortcut menu to install the font.
- It will pop up a message stating: "The 'Tahoma' font is already installed. Do you want to replace it?".
Choose "Yes" to replace the font.
- Restart the machine.
CR, Thai characters, font issues , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or BusinessViews Manager , Problem