- Editing a report in the embedded Crystal Reports designer within Visual Studio.
- Launch the Database Expert by going to the Crystal Reports menu, then Database Expert.
- Error message is displayed: External component has thrown an exception.
- Visual Studio 2010
- Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010, RTM
- The embedded report designer in Visual Studio queries for *.sds and *.xml files in the C:\Temp directory when the Database Expert is launched.
- There is a problem with how the embedded designer is handling the xml files it reads.
- The issue has been identified and logged under Problem Report ID ADAPT01506594.
- The issue is resolved in Service Pack 2 for Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010
- Service Pack 2 and associated MSM, MSI and ClickOnce files can be found on the Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 Reference page
- Alternatively, rename the C:\Temp to something else - such as C:\Temp1 so the embedded designer can't find the directory
KBA , BI-DEV-NET-SDK , .NET SDK / COM SDK , Problem
SAP Crystal Reports, developer version for Microsoft Visual Studio