- Attempting to export a report in a Visual Studio .NET application results in the error;
“Internet Explorer cannot download file from server.
Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.”
- Only Internet Explorer produces the error. There is no error when using Mozilla Firefox browser.
- It was considered a IE security issue that IE saved all content to temporary disk location unencrypted. Even pages served by HTTPS (e.g.; your banking information) thus potentially allowing for someone else to retrieve the information at a later time.
- Without the "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" option set, IE downloads the file, saves it to disk, then deletes the copy from the disk immediately - before passing it to the application responsible for the MIME type. Thus the application tries to open a directory path to a non-existing file.
- IE version 6 and higher implements the "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" option setting.
In Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced and ensure "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is unchecked.
KBA , BI-DEV-NET , BI Software Development Kits (SDKs) - .NET or Other , How To