There is no "Printer" button on the Page Setup dialog when using the Report Designer Component (RDC) on the Windows Vista operating system (OS).
Reproducing the Issue
- Create a Visual Basic 6 (VB6) application that uses the RDC from Crystal Reports XI Release 2.
- Use the PrinterSetup or PrinterSetupEx method off of the Report Object.
- Deploy the application to a Vista machine using the RDC merge modules.
- Call the Page Setup dialog with the PrinterSetup or PrinterSetupEx method in code.
- The "Printer" button will not be seen on the Page Setup dialog.
This can also be demonstrated with other applications installed on a Vista machine.
- Open a document in any application that can print.
- Go to File > Page Setup
- There is no "Printer" button available on the Page Setup dialog
Crystal Reports XI R2 (v11.5)
Report Designer Component (RDC)
Windows Vista OS
This is the result of a change in functionality with the Vista operating system.
- Microsoft has made a change to the common application programming interface (API) as used by Report Designer Component (RDC) for the Page Setup dialog window.
- It is no longer possible to change printer selection directly through the Page Setup dialog.
- Other applications that also use this API have the same behavior.
- See for example Internet Explorer, Notepad, or any other application.
To work around this change in the Vista OS you can adjust the code in your VB6 RDC application to use the .PrintOut method of the Report object. Set the property of the .PrintOut method to True in order to force the dialog to display.
In other applications use the "Print" button or the File > Print selection in order to select the printer.
The issue has been identified in Crystal Reports XI Release 2 and logged under Problem Report ID ADAPT01075402. There is currently no target Fix Pack or Service Pack scheduled for this issue.
Printer button page setup dialog dialogue RDC designer Crystal Reports XI R2 CR 2008 Vista PrinterSetup PrinterSetupEx Report Designer Component PrintOut ADAPT01075402 01075402 1075402 , KBA , BI-DEV , Business Intelligence Software Development Kits (SDKs) , Problem