When you add a memo fields to an existing report, youreceive an error of "Failed to Open a rowset". Then it displays: Failed to Open a rowset, DETAILS: ADOErrorCode: Ox80040e14, SOURCE: Micorsoft OLEDB Provider for SQL Server, DESCRIPTION: The ntext data type cannot be selected because it is not comparable. SQLSTATE:42000, Native error: 421.
- Crystal Reports 2008 V 1
- Reporting Database: MS SQLSERVER 2005
Reproducing the Issue
- Create a Crystal Report against MSSQLSERVER 2005 using the native oledb connection
- Choose Select Distinct in Report Options.
- Try to place a memo field on the report-
- in MsSQLSERVER the field is defined as an ntext type
- you will get an error:
- The ntext data type cannot be selected because it is not comparable. SQLSTATE:42000, Native error: 421
- you will not be able to do anything else until you remove the field from the report
Select Distinct cannot be used with this type of field- MSSQLSERVER does not allow it:
Uncheck the Select Distinct on the database tab in Crystal Reports
Solution 2 -if you need the Select Distinct
Create a Stored Procedure on the Database and cast the ntext field as a varchar
The ntext data type cannot be selected because it is not comparable,SQLSTATE:42000, Native error: 421, memo field, Crystal Reports 2008, ntext , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or BusinessViews Manager , Problem