- Error when opening a document in MS Excel.
- Report exported from Crystal Reports to MS Excel generates an error when open in MS Excel.
- When opening a report exported to MS Excel format from Crystal Reports, it generates the error:
'Excel encountered an error and had to remove some formatting to avoid corrupting the workbook. Please re-check your formatting carefully.'
- SAP Crystal Reports 2008
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
Reproducing the Issue
- In Crystal Reports, export a report to MS Excel Format.
- Open the exported report in MS Excel.
- The error displays: 'Excel encountered an error and had to remove some formatting to avoid corrupting the workbook.'
- An object on the report doesn't have a font associated with it. ( Text object, Database Fields, Formula Fields, ... )
- When opening the exported report in MS Excel, the application displays an error since there is no associated font with the object
- Ensure all objects on the report have a font associated with it. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Open the report in Crystal Reports
- In the Design view of the report, right click on an object, and select "Format ..." in the contextual menu
- In the "Format Editor" window, under the tab "Font", verify there is a font name
- If there is no font name and it is blank, select a font, and click "OK" to accept the change.
- Repeat step 1 to 4 for each object ( Text objects, Database Fields, Formula Fields,... )
- Export the report to MS Excel format
Now, when opening the report in MS Excel, it will not longer display an error.
MS Excel, Crystal Reports, CR, Excel, Export , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or BusinessViews Manager , Problem