- Is Crystal Reports backward compatible to previous versions of Crystal Reports?
- Can a report created in a newer version of Crystal Reports be edited in an older version of the product?
- Can a report created in an older version of Crystal Reports be edited and viewed in the latest version of Crystal Reports?
- Crystal Reports XI
- Crystal Reports XI R2
- SAP Crystal Reports 2008
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
- Reports created in older versions of Crystal Reports can be open and edited in the latest version of Crystal Reports.
- In more details, Crystal Reports is a backward compatible application. This means, later version of Crystal Reports can open, and refresh a report that was originally created in Crystal Reports version 6 and later.
- Reports that contains formatting formulas that use the evaluation time function WhileReadingRecords.
For more details, see the SAP Knowledge Base Article 1218899
- Crystal Reports XI and higher, cannot report off Crystal Dictionaries, Queries or Info Views.
For more details, see the SAP Knowledge Base Article 1219071
- Reports based off the SAP BW Query Driver are not supported in Crystal Reports 2011 and higher.
For more details, see the SAP Knowledge Base Article 1716438
- Reports created in later versions of Crystal Reports can be opened and saved in earlier versions of Crystal Reports, however, functions exclusive to the latest versions will not be available in the lower versions.
For example: Dynamic Parameter did not exist in Crystal Reports 9, therefore if you create a dynamic parameter in Crystal Reports 2013, and open the report in Crystal Reports 9, then the parameter will not be dynamic. It will be static, since the functionality did not exist in that version.
- CAUTION: We strongly recommend that you create backup copies of reports created in Crystal Reports 8.5 and earlier, prior to saving them as Crystal Reports 9, and higher, because this action cannot be reversed.
- Crystal Reports XI, 10, and 9 support Unicode. Earlier versions of Crystal Reports do not support Unicode. Therefore, once an RPT file has been saved in Crystal Reports XI, 10, or 9 the RPT cannot be opened in Crystal Reports 8.5 or earlier.
Convert, BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE MIGRATION UPGRADE COMPATABILITY BACKWARD VERSION Crystal Reports Opening and saving report files Version compatibility , c2018057 , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or BusinessViews Manager , Problem