- Error: Failed to retrieve data.
- When attempting to create a report off a Universe in Crystal Reports, get the error message: Failed to retrieve data.
- Error Details: Query generated multiple SQL statements, however multiple SQL is not supported in Crystal Reports Query Panel.
- SAP Crystal Reports 2008
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
Reproducing the Issue
- In Crystal Reports, create a new report off a Universe
- In the Business Objects Query Panel, add objects in the Result Objects window
- Click on the OK button
It then displays the following error:
"Failed to retreive SQL"
"Query generated multiple SQL statements, however multiple SQL is not supported in Crystal Reports Query Panel"
- When reporting off a Universe, Crystal Reports communicates with the Webi Report Server.
- The Webi Report Server generates the SQL Query based on the Universe and send it back to Crystal Reports
- Multiple SQL Queries could be the result of context or measure defined in the Universe.
- Webi supports multiple SQL queries, but not Crystal Reports. This is a product limitation.
- Crystal Reports can't report off multiple SQL Query when reporting off a Universe, this is a product limitation.
- If the multiple SQL Queries are generated due to multiple context or measure created in the Universe, to workaround this limitation you can:
- Open the Universe you are attempting to report from in the Universe Designer
- Go to the Parameters window. ( Select Parameters under the menu Files )
- In the Parameter window, under the tab SQL, uncheck the options:
- Multiple SQL statements for each context
- Multiple SQL statements for each measure
- Click OK to accept the change
- Save the Universe
- Export the Universe to the repository
After performing the above steps, if the multiple SQL queries were generated because of the multiple contexts or measures, you will then be able to report from this Universe in Crystal Reports.
NOTE: The above is a workaround for some situation where multiple queries is not necessary, but will not work in all situations depending on how the Universe is designed. Before performing the above change, consult with your Database Administrator, or the person responsible to create and maintain the Universe.
UNIVERSE UNIVERSES MULITPLE SQL CR11 XI 11 15952 Crystal Reports Universe Query Panel Multiple SELECT statements , c2016736 , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or BusinessViews Manager , Problem