- When attempting to open a report in the Crystal Reports designer it displays the following errors:
"OLE object error"
"Unable to open report"
- Crystal Reports 2008
- SAP Crystal Reports 2011
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
Reproducing the Issue
- Open a report in Crystal Reports.
- The following error displays: "OLE Object error" followed by 'Unable to open report"
- The errors occur because the OLE object inserted into the report is based off a different version of Microsoft Office (Office).
For example: The report was designed on a computer that had Microsoft Office 97 installed.
- The following scenario describes a situation in which this error may occur:
- The OLE Object was originally inserted into the report from an Office 97 file, such as Microsoft Word (Word) 97. Office 2000 was then installed on the computer.
- Opening the report that contains the Word 97 OLE Object produces the errors. These errors occur because the OLE Server could not be opened.
- To resolve this issue insert the object as a bitmap instead of as a Word OLE Object.
- To insert the bitmap into the report complete the following:
- Launch Crystal Reports.
- From the 'Insert' menu, select 'Picture'.
- From the 'Open' window, navigate to the folder where the picture is located.
- Click the bitmap file to select it, and click 'OK'.
Now when you preview the report you will not receive an error.
ERRORS RECEIVED OLE OBJECT ERROR "UNABLE TO OPEN REPORT" OPEN REPORT PICTURE Crystal Enterprise Report Application Server Error when opening a report Inserting an OLE Object , c2010253 , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or BusinessViews Manager , Problem