During SAP systems upgrades, enhancement packages installations and Support Packages updates via SUM (when shadow instance is present), the system tablespaces are changed according to the their new release.
The UPG tools have their own mechanism to update the tablespaces. However, problems can take place during the tablespaces handling; and/or customers might have questions related to the deletion or modificcation of tablespaces. For example, if PSAPSR370xX or PSAP<SID>70xX can be deleted or not, or if tablespaces named as the old SAP Basis release (e.g. PSAPSR3701 or PSAPSR3701X) are not empty.
Before proceeding, please familiarize yourself with the naming convention and data files in SAP environments, on the following help.sap link:
Please note that Microsoft's MSSQL, SAP's MaxDB and Sybase's own DB don't use the concept of tablespaces to store data logically, so this document is not applicable to these DBs.
Also notice that the majority or such problems take place on Oracle databases, so this will be the database focused on this article.
This Knowledge Base Article intends to help troubleshooting problems with tablespaces during UPG processes.
- Release upgrade, Enhancement Package installation, Support Package Stack application of SAP products (ERP, CRM, Solman etc.) based on NetWeaver 7.x using the Software update manager (SUM)
- SAP NetWeaver 7.0
- SAP NetWeaver 7.3
- SAP enhancement package 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0
- SAP enhancement package 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.3
- SAP enhancement package 2 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0
- SAP enhancement package 3 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0
- SAP Solution Manager SAP Solution Manager 7.1
- SAP enhancement package for SAP ERP SAP enhancement package 4 for SAP ERP 6.0
- SAP enhancement package 5 for SAP ERP 6.0
- SAP enhancement package 6 for SAP ERP 6.0
- SAP enhancement package 7 for SAP ERP 6.0
- SAP enhancement package 8 for SAP ERP 6.0
modification, database, data, sap, ehp, halt, hang, issue, trouble, alert, warning, update, actual, future, landscape, path, doc, documentation, assist, query, incident, SUM, fix, file, bin, support, assistance , KBA , BC-UPG-TLS-TLA , Upgrade tools for ABAP , BC-DB-DB6 , DB2 Universal Database for Unix / NT , BC-DB-ORA , Oracle , BW-SYS-DB-ORA , BW ORACLE , BC-DB-DB4 , DB2 for AS/400 , BC-DB-DB2 , DB2 for z/OS , BW-SYS-DB-DB6 , BW DB2 Universal Database , BW-SYS-DB-DB2 , BW DB2 for z/OS , BW-SYS-DB-DB4 , BW DB2 for AS/400 , How To
About this pageThis is a preview of a SAP Knowledge Base Article. Click more to access the full version on SAP ONE Support launchpad (Login required).
Search for additional results
Visit SAP Support Portal's SAP Notes and KBA Search.