You have created a purchase order with project assignment and expect the functional area to be derived from the cost center assigned to the related project. The functional are determination based on the cost center type is correctly maintained, however the purchase order ends up as an unposted source document due to missing functional are assignment.
SAP Business ByDesign.
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to General Ledger work center.
- Go to Source Documents view.
You find the purchase order unposted with the following error messages:
- No functional area could be assigned
- Derivation for accounting principle <ID>, chart of accounts <ID>, G/L account <ID>, Nonsales Object
- Derivation for project task <ID>, cost center type <here the cost center type shows in blank>
- Open the related purchase order.
- Go to the Items tab and open the Account Assignment.
- Open the project task maintained as account assignment.
- Within the project task, click View All.
- Go to Accounting tab.
- Refer to the Responsible Unit field.
- Double-click the responsible unit ID
- Within the Org. unit screen that opens, click View All.
- Go to Definitions tab.
You see that the responsible unit is a cost center and has cost center type e.g. 20 - Sales.
- Go to Business Configuration work center.
- Go to Implementation Projects view.
- Open the activity list.
- Open activity Settings for Income Statements by Function of Expense and Earned Profit Analysis
- Click to edit the functional area determination.
- Go to tab Determination Using Cost Center Types.
You see that the related cost center type is correctly mapped. Hence, you expect the system to determinate the functional area based on the cost center type. You do not want the determination to happen via G/L Account, reason why the functional are mapping is not done to the G/L Account mentioned in the error message.
The system is not being able to derive the cost center from the project, therefore you see in the error message that the cost center type is in blank. Since the cost center type cannot be derived, the functional area determination is not done.
This happens because the purchase order has a Delivery Date before the initial validity of the cost center attributes of this Org. Unit.
You can check Delivery Date in the purchase order line item itself. The cost center attributes for the Responsible unit in the project can be seen within the Timelines tab for that Org. Unit via Organizational Management work center.
In order for the system to determine the functional area from the Cost Center type, the Delivery Date of the purchase order must be within the validity range of the cost center attribute of the related cost center.
Therefore, you can either change the delivery date (if still possible) or change the validity range of the cost center attributes of this cost center. This can be done via Organizational Management work center.
Functional Area Determination. Cost Center Type. G/L Account. Purchase Order. Supplier Invoice. Project Management. Project Task. Source Document. Derivation for accounting principle , KBA , SRD-FIN-GL , General Ledger , How To