The following behavior occurs in SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC):
- Unable to use version based color in Waterfall Chart
- SAP Analytics Cloud (Enterprise) 2021.7.2
- Live BW Data Connection
Reproducing the Issue
- Create a Story based on Live BW Data Connection with Versions (i.e. Actual and/or Forecast)
- Add a Waterfall Chart with a Measure and Two Dimensions (Version and Category)
- Click on Designer
- Click on the Waterfall Chart on the Left
- Click on Color / Add Dimension - the version is greyed out / not available
The Waterfall Chart has more than one version, however it does not allow to set the color based on the version
The behavior is intentional, designer's color feed for waterfall can only add "Version" dimension with configurable pattern but not color.
The Help guide states: “To use the Color parameter in a waterfall chart you need to have a Version (for example, Actual or Forecast) dimension. For your versions, you can modify the patterns, but not the colors. To change the colors, refer to Adding Columns and Customizing the Column Color-Coding”
In other words, if there are more than one version (e.g. actual and forecast) it will be created multiple waterfall charts instead of just one, that is similar trellis chart concept.
To explain, I would like to use a simple bar chat (left) and 2 waterfalls (right top, right bottom) as example.
For the bar chart, I added "version" to dimension and color feeds. For the waterfalls, right top I added "version" to the dimension feed and right bottom I added "version" to the color feed. You observe that when version is in dimension feed, it looks similar to the bar chart (except the pattern and color). However, for version in color feed waterfall, it creates 2 single bar charts, left for actual and right for the forecast for comparison side by side.
If you then stack "Product" on the dimension feed for all 3 charts. you will be able to notice the difference among these charts. Hence, the Color Feed for a waterfall chart is specific to that comparison usage. If it allows "version" to be added on both dimension and color feed at the same time, then we CANNOT tell user want to do right top case OR right bottom case.
- No available resolution
- 2569847 - Where can you find SAC user assistance (help) to use, configure, and operate it more effectively?
- Have a question? Ask it here and let our amazing SAP community help! Or reply and share your knowledge!
- 2487011 - What information do I need to provide when opening an incident for SAP Analytics Cloud?
- 2511489 - Troubleshooting performance issues in SAP Analytics Cloud
- Search for SAP Analytics Cloud content using Google or Bing:
- Note: Add relevant text or warning/error messages to the text search field to filter results.
- SAP Analytics Cloud > Learning > Data Connections
- SAP Analytics Cloud > Learning > Guided Playlists
- SAP Analytics Cloud > Learning > Guided Playlists > Getting Support
- Need More Help? Contact Support or visit the solution finder today!
Your feedback is important to help us improve our knowledge base.
, KBA , LOD-ANA-DES , Story Design & Visualizations , LOD-ANA-LDC-BW , SAC Live Data Connection BW , Problem