When updating the translation of an Item, Curricula, etc. such as the Title and using the Localization Pop-up window, when attempting to add 100 characters and saving, the text is cut short.
SAP SuccessFactors Learning - 1H 2020 and above
Reproducing the Issue
- Set the Learning Administrator preferences in English
- Go to an Existing Curricula
- Edit the Title to "éééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééé" which is exactly 100 characters
- Click on the Localization section for the Title and paste the same Title that is 100 characters in another locale such as French or German
- The text will be truncated from 100 characters to 50 characters
The Localization Pop-up in many different parts/entities of the system is validating off bytes rather than characters. In the above example the character "é" is two bytes thus the 100 character limit shown in Pop-up is 100 bytes and not 100 characters which is why only 50 this character are saved.
This issue is being investigated and when there is a target fix date, this article will be updated. The validation of text versus byte across the entire application will be standardized with this fix.
- The 100 character limit (and not byte) is adhered to based off the Learning Administrator preferences. Identify the locale that needs the localization updated.
- Go to Preferences > Update to that locale such as German along with Currency and Timezone if required and Apply Changes
- Navigate to the entity, in this case the Curricula, and place the title in the standard text box rather than in the Localization Pop-up
- Save the changes
Even if you navigate back to English and check the Localization, it will show the truncated value but in the database the value is still the full 100 characters.
curricula, item, locale, localization, character, bytes, characters, cut, off, cut-off, truncate, truncated, short, lms, sf , KBA , LOD-SF-LMS-ITE , Items , LOD-SF-LMS-PRO , Programs , LOD-SF-LMS-CUR , Curricula , Bug Filed