Crystal Reports 2016 Inner Exception when starting CR Designer
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016 SP 4 or below/above
- Crystal Reports for Visual Studio SP 21 or above/below
Reproducing the Issue
- We have Crystal Reports Designer 2016 SP 4 or higher installed.
- We also have a Crystal Reports for Visual Studio application installed, SP 20 or below
- you can also have CR 2016 SP 3 or below
- CR for VS SP 21 or above installed
Depends on the order of install depends on what may be broken
As of CR 2016 SP 4 and CR for VS SP 21 we updated our compiler to use Visual Studio 2015 to build these products, due to older Microsoft Dependencies no long being supported by Microsoft.
Note: BOE 4.2 SP 4 was also rebuilt using VS 2015 compiler. If installing CR 2016 on a BOE 4.2 Server you can cause all sorts of issues as well.
See this KBA for CR install issues also:
To resolve this issue you need to either upgrade Crystal Reports 2016 to SP 4 or above or upgrade your application runtime to SP 21 or above.
Please note: to upgrade one of them will need to be uninstalled, once that happens then Repair the remaining CR or CR for VS install and then install the newly updated CRD or CR for VS.
cr 2016 sp 4, cr for vs sp 21, inner exception , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or Business View Manager , BI-DEV-NET , BI Software Development Kits (SDKs) - .NET or Other , Problem